Topic: Quick question

Hello

Does 802 can playback AC-3, DOLBY TRUE HD, DTS via outputting signal to 5 speakers... more precisely 5 analog outputs. I wanna watch movies with surround.

Re: Quick question

That only works if your video player does the decoding to multichannel output - software video players on a computer will do this.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Jeff wrote:

That only works if your video player does the decoding to multichannel output - software video players on a computer will do this.

Can you suggest a few video players ? And what type is shown to work ? For example, for me AC-3 is good enough for me now but i will probably upgrade to Dolby True Hd 7.1 someday.

And also, i was thinkering a bit. Can hook up interface to AV receiver (probably not ) to stream True HD with adat. I suppose AV receivers only receiver SPDIF (with AC3)   but it is worth asking smile

Thanks

Home Theater receivers do not accept ADAT signals.

I can watch Quicktime movies with Dolby surround 5.1 on my Mac and FF UC.
I think this option is relatively new.
The mac seems to decode the material.
But I have to connect 6 active speakers to do so.
It does not work with EyeTV dolby 5.1 and DVD Player Dolby tracks.
You have to connect a receiver with HDMI or SPDF for this.
If not,
this will be put out as stereo on RME hardware.
I also tried to open an EyeTV stream with VLC and VLC can decode Dolby to 6 channels for RME on the fly.

Recordings from EyeTV and than converted by Handbrake with 5.1 Dolby , or AAC 5.1 can be watched with Quicktime.
For MKV movies with DBX 5.1 , I use VLC

UFX+, FireFace 802 FS, Digiface USB
12 Mic, M1610 pro, Micstasy
MacBookPro M1
Logic Pro X

ghostman1846 wrote:

Home Theater receivers do not accept ADAT signals.

I was afraid that was the case.

cigame wrote:

I can watch Quicktime movies with Dolby surround 5.1 on my Mac and FF UC.
I think this option is relatively new.
The mac seems to decode the material.
But I have to connect 6 active speakers to do so.
It does not work with EyeTV dolby 5.1 and DVD Player Dolby tracks.
You have to connect a receiver with HDMI or SPDF for this.
If not,
this will be put out as stereo on RME hardware.
I also tried to open an EyeTV stream with VLC and VLC can decode Dolby to 6 channels for RME on the fly.
Recordings from EyeTV and than converted by Handbrake with 5.1 Dolby , or AAC 5.1 can be watched with Quicktime.
For MKV movies with DBX 5.1 , I use VLC

My player (Blu Ray Player Pro) play the files perfectly but it doesnt show in Total Mix that i have 6 channels of audio. I have only stereo as ''Analog/stereo 1&2'' (that is in software playback section) but it does not show audio playing in 3,4,5,6. No signal passes thru there nor it even appears. IN my player it says (and video info) the format is ac3 plus it has 6 channels. So this work works only for SPDIF and if not, it will play as stereo ? In that case, it sucks.

What i can expect in True Hd LPCM with 6 channels can not go thru spdif. I dont think that it will appear as 6 channels in total mix so i can hook up active speakers.

Did you check the Speaker assignment to all channels in Audio MIDI Setup?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

What i can expect in True Hd LPCM with 6 channels can not go thru spdif. I dont think that it will appear as 6 channels in total mix so i can hook up active speakers.

Right.
Multi Track WAV files can play through HDMI (8 chanels)
If you have a HDMI receiver.(But than you won't need a RME device ;-)
SPDF is only Stereo or encoded Dolby, or DBX.

UFX+, FireFace 802 FS, Digiface USB
12 Mic, M1610 pro, Micstasy
MacBookPro M1
Logic Pro X