1 (edited by dvdr 2017-09-14 16:40:00)

Topic: Fireface 800 & UFX II - use at the same time?

Just ordered a UFX II and looking forward to work with it :-)

- Can I use both of them at the same time, the FF800 attached via Firewire->Thunderbolt adapter, the UFX II via USB?
- if so: how will Totalmix behave?
- if not: can I at least install both drivers or must I deinstall the FF800 driver in any way?

btw.: the question applies both to OS X Sierra and Windows 7 professional - Macbook Pro for the road, Windows Computer at home. And: connecting the FF800 as standalone via ADAT to the UFX II does not apply, since I use the ADAT on the FF800 already to connect an additional 8-channel mic-preamp (sorry, no Octamic, different manufacturer, but that will change, too, sometime soon).

Re: Fireface 800 & UFX II - use at the same time?

An ASIO aware application like Cubase (DAW) can only access one ASIO driver.
AS FF800 is a Firewire and UFX II is an USB based recording device its obvious that these are 2 different ASIO drivers.
Thus from application perspective you can only access in your DAW wither the driver for the FF800 or the one for the UFX II.

TotalMix FX is a different animal.
You can open a new TM Window, so that you have 2 instances.
In instance #1 you can select UFX II, In instance #2 you can select FF800.
By this you can control UFX II and FF800 in 2 different windows.
But you cannot route by this between the 2 devices / TM FX instances.

What you can do.
Connect the newest recording interface to the PC/Apple via USB.
Connect the FF800 via ADAT to the UFX II (IN and OUT!).
UFX II to be configured as clock master, FF800 to receive the clock from the UFX II via ADAT.

Then configure the FF800 and select which inputs (Mic or line or a mix of both) you want to route through ADAT to the UFX II.
You can also save different routings in the TotalMix FX instance for the FF800 and recall as you need.

Once you have all this done, save your work with the 2 instances open and perfectly positioned on screen as you like.
- Snapshot
- Workspace
- Workspace quick select

You can also look into your handbook, how exactly the stand-alone capabilities of your FF800 are.
I cant remember exactly.
By this you can preconfigure that the FF800 starts automaticall with the proper routing.
If you only or mainly need this routing, then you wouldnt need the 2nd TM FX instance and consequently wouldnt require the Firewire Connection to your PC / Apple.

Of course you should install both drivers, the USB driver for the UFX II and the Fw driver for the FF 800.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13