1 (edited by grandpaface 2017-10-27 09:03:32)

Topic: Volume key control on mac ? Which models provide it ?

Hi

I could change the main volume of my Babyface with the volume keys of my macbook and it was great. Now with my UCX i can't do this anymore... And i REALLY miss this feature, and no i don't want to buy a remote.

Does anybody have a list of all the RME USB soundcards that allow this function on mac ?

From what i've read, it seems the UFX and even the Babyface Pro don't allow it either... I can't understand why this is not an option at least.

Thanks

2 (edited by ramses 2017-10-27 09:06:57)

Re: Volume key control on mac ? Which models provide it ?

The RME products are not normal "soundcards", I personally would use this description only for the "consumer" audio interfaces.

With soundcards you might have this feature usually per default, but not the quality and other features that differentiates a recording interface to a normal "soundcard" in your PC (ASIO driver, richness of connection type, connection density, mixer control, etc).

BTW I wonder, that the Babyface offered you this function, if I remember right (but maybe I'm wrong) this was already matter of discussion and there were reasons why this is not easily possible.

Maybe RME can comment to this.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

3 (edited by grandpaface 2017-10-27 10:34:05)

The whole "consumer" or "pro" thing isn't the problem here : this is a function that has been removed by RME where it wouldn't have been hard to give us the CHOICE. Please let's not go off topic, i'm only interested in a list of soundcard that have / don't have this function.

thanks

4 (edited by ramses 2017-10-27 10:41:41)

Then I was wrong in this particular case, sorry.
Otherwise it is like I wrote because an ASIO driver has usually a different focus than volume control by i.e. keyboard.
This is usually the domain of "consumer stuff", whether you like this word or not.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Your UCX should be able to do that...

Have you had a look at the control room settings in TotalMix?

You need to define outputs for main monitors. These will be controlled by the system volume once they're defined. The "mute" button will be disabled. A godsend for those of us working in the dark big_smile

MB Pro - 2 X FireFace 400, FF800 & DigiFace USB
ADAT gear: Korg, Behri, Fostex, Alesis...

The UC is able.

UFX+, FireFace 802 FS, Digiface USB
12 Mic, M1610 pro, Micstasy
MacBookPro M1
Logic Pro X

cyrano wrote:

Your UCX should be able to do that...

Have you had a look at the control room settings in TotalMix?

You need to define outputs for main monitors. These will be controlled by the system volume once they're defined. The "mute" button will be disabled. A godsend for those of us working in the dark big_smile

i've had email confirmation from RME a while back that the UCX volume cannot be controlled by keyboard volume keys on a mac

Owww... That's a shame.

I saw the UCX as a newer generation FF400. My FF400 can do that. Of course, it can't use the remote...

Well, learned something. Do we assume all the remote capable interfaces are in the same boat?

MB Pro - 2 X FireFace 400, FF800 & DigiFace USB
ADAT gear: Korg, Behri, Fostex, Alesis...

Good news, I found a work around to restore the volume keys when using an external sound card. Sound Control by Static Z Software provides a virtual mixer and auto-assigns the volume keys to operate the master volume within the app. Link here: https://staticz.com/soundcontrol/

It's costs $10USD, but I think it's worth it. Confirmed working on Mac OSX 10.11 with an RME FireFace UFX II Audio Interface.