1 (edited by SonicExplorer 2017-11-02 20:13:11)

Topic: FF400 MIDI Cable - Pin / Shield / Shell Question

Hi,

I am investigating making a longer cable that will provide only a single MIDI input into the FF400, rather than the short half-octopus (breakout cable).  I think I have it all figured out - except for one outstanding issue...

Apparently there are 3 potentially inter-related elements to a standard MIDI cable - center pin (called pin #2), the cable shield, and the plug shells.  After studying a basic MIDI patch cable I own, the shells are not connected to each other, nor is pin #2.  However, the RME octopus has all the shells connected - I assume via the cable shield.  And pin #2 is not in the picture there either.

In my cable endeavor would I be right to leave pin #2 alone, and connect the plug shells on each end to the cable shield?  That seems to be what RME did with the octopus - but that differs from my reference MIDI patch cable.  And what if the final MIDI cable I splice a FF400 connector onto ends up not having a cable shield at all, is that a concern?   It's not like anything is going to blow up one way or another, as I understand this is all simply about best practices for shielding and grounding.

Can someone please verify how this aspect of my cable project is best handled?  (Matthias?)

Sonic

Re: FF400 MIDI Cable - Pin / Shield / Shell Question

Anyone ???