Topic: Feature request: Selectable snapshot parameters

Hi there!

I have a Fireface UFX with three separate speaker sets (plus headphones) that I want to switch using my ARC USB. The only two options I currently see for that are either creating mute groups or changing the routing with snapshots as there is no option for speaker C. The former would require me to mute and unmute another which seems quite unhandy.

The problem with the snapshots is that everytime I change between two outputs all other configurations like microphone gains are reset to the snapshot's configuration. In other words: I can't check the recorded take on monitors when recording with headphones in the same room without resetting the microphone gain.

Therefore I would love to see an update for Totalmix which enables you to select the saved and recalled parameters for snapshots (or even better, for each individual snapshot)!

Am I missing a hidden feature that would allow me to switch as desired or would that actually be the only elegant way?

2 (edited by ramses 2017-11-03 11:47:58)

Re: Feature request: Selectable snapshot parameters

I understand your request but am wondering about your concern not to use SNAPSHOTS for it.

Changing input gains in TM is usually only required during recording.
While recording its very unusual to change between many monitors.

To change between many monitors to allow for A/B or even A/B/C/D comparison is IMHO only applicable when you are mixing and mastering. But when you are mastering you do not have to record. You only work with the faders in the DAW or the TM fader to adjust the volume of your monitor(s).

Do you get my point ?

What I would try to do in your situation, as I understood it:

Under "workspace quick select"

a) create one workspace for recording
there you can choose the 8 snapshots for standard routings as you like / prefer
Maybe optional with the possibility to switch between 2 outputs (Monitor A / B)

b) create one workspace for mixing / mastering
the faders of the different tracks you handle in the DAW anyway ...
Here you could use snapshots to allow switching between different monitors and headphones at the optimal working level (reference level, or whatever you prefer).

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thanks for your quick answer!

Two different workspaces for different occasions could be the solution. I totally understand your doubt about the necessity of all speakers at every moment of the production.

When I'm recording vocals with someone who is in the same room I would love to change between both headphone outs and my main speakers with a single press of a button. I think it's much easier to evaluate a take together on a single pair of monitors instead of headphones (which impede the communication during playback).

Is there a way to link both phones as a speaker B? Should I just accept that pressing speaker B doesn't mute the output for the second headphones?

4 (edited by ramses 2017-11-03 12:18:04)

No you can only assign one device as Main Out B.

But you can mute the channels at the end in TM as you want and save this maybe to a temporary snapshot, that you do not loose the basic settings of what you require in this situation...

Create a tmp snapshot with the 2 phones muted or not as you require and then use Speaker B.

Then use maybe 6 static settings for Snapshots.
Select the one which fits best as a basement.
Make all the required changes suitable for your current situation.
Save it to snapshot 7 and 8 as temp customization ....
I say 7 and 8 because maybe you want in addition to A/B also change smth else between you want to switch.
Maybe .. mute phones1 or 2 ... or all phones louder, all phones more silent.
I wouldnt like to work always with a relatively loud reference level ....

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13