Topic: Connecting my Fractal Audio AXE FX II to the RME

I have a question regarding how I connect my AXE FX II to the RME. If you are not familiar with this product, it is a digital processing amp for guitars.

I have connected my Axe via balanced outputs and then using the balanced jack inputs on the back of the RME. I have a question regarding the volume.

When playing live with the Axe FX I usally never put the volume higher than 9 o'clock, so about 1/4th of the capacity. When I have it at 9 and the meter for the channel in Total Mix RME at 0, the volume surprisingly low... How should I go about increasing the volume?
1. Turn up the gain in settings in Total Mix or will this affect the sound?
2. Turn up the volume from output 1 on the Axe II itself? At the same time, it seems strange I have to increase the volume so much out from the Axe?

Re: Connecting my Fractal Audio AXE FX II to the RME

Which RME interface is this? You may be able to use the digital AES/EBU connection instead of analog.

If the input meters in TotalMix are low, you should just turn up the Axe FX output until it's usable. Not sure why you would want to keep this turned down, it's not like you would disturb the neighbors smile

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

So you never use extra gain on the input when you record instruments via line, only when using a mic?

There is no "extra gain" for line level inputs, only a switch for setting the correct sensitivity/headroom for the incoming signal.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

I am connected via balanced input 1 and 2 in the back, showing up at AN 1/2 in Total Mix. If click settings in TM there is an option to increase the gain, which also increases the sound. Am I doing something wrong, since you say there is no extra gain option?

You never said which interface this is. Some of the newer Fireface models do have a sort of "make up" gain to match input level more precisely.

But IMO it makes no sense to turn down the Axe unit then use extra gain on input. This will only make the SNR worse.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

7 (edited by Charles820 2017-11-28 10:23:29)

I have the Fireface UFX II. Ok, I thought Total Mix was the same for all AIs.

8 (edited by ramses 2017-11-28 13:28:57)

Some TM FX features / controls depend on whether the audio interface (or remote controlled device behind it) supports it.

To put some examples in terms of TM FX:
- this case
- Durec in TM FX is only useable for devices that support it, like UFX, UFX II, UFX+
- FF802 has no digitally controllable Gain knobs, thus you cant save the gain settings digitally into a TM Snapshot
- Autoset is only available/supported in TM FX for devices where the Mic Inputs support this feature, UFX II does
- Instr and PAD can only be activated on preamp channels that support it, like i.e. your UFX II
  But this is also possible with your device in combination with XTC as AUX device remote controlled in one TM instance
- some devices have not a full FX engine implemented on the device (BBF, BBFP, MADIface Pro)
  in this case - depending on the device - dynamics or dynamics&reverbs are being rendered on the PC
  your UFX II has the full implementation
- some recording interfaces have no FX engine implemented like i.e. the FF UC or the RayDAT
- remote control by MIDI over MADI works only for devices with MADI support like ie UFX+ and Octamic XTC
- TM AUX device support can only be used if you have a Preamp connected, that supports this
  for your device its possible if you would connect an XTC via ADAT and MIDI cables for remote control
  for an UFX+ and XTC its more elegant using MADI
  allowing for much longer cables, more devices and to get rid of MIDI cabling entirely
  or you might use it in addition to connect ie XTC via ADAT additionally

See my PDF: http://www.tonstudio-forum.de/index.php … 17-01-pdf/ in this blog article: http://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/inde … SB-MADIfac

Big scalability scenario with UFX+ and 10 Octamic XTC would be:
- 8 Octamic XTC connected to UFX+ via MADI, as AUX device, remote controlled by MIDI over MADI, 64 ch @44.1/48
- 2 Octamic XTC conntected to UFX+ via ADAT, as 2nd AUX device, remote controlled by MIDI, 16 ch @44.1/48
Together i.e. 4 + 64 + 16 = 86 Mic inputs !

And all these most important settings (gain, panning, pad, instr,..) of UFX+ and Octamic XTC (configured as AUX device)
can be stored snapshots / workspaces of ONE (!) TM FX instance of the UFX+ !

What I want to say, its worth to look at devices in detail, esp if you have special demands or plan for longer use and/or scalability.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Terrific! Thanks a lot!