Topic: iPad TotalMixFX - support for Apple Pencil

I have previously raised human interface issues with using the iPad for controlling a live mix whilst recording via UFX (also UFX+, UFX II, etc.).

I now have an iPad Pro 10.5 and an Apple Pencil.  This would seem to offer the opportunity to use it at least as a stylus for more precise control of the mix than the naked finger (and avoid some of the pitfall s thereof).  Of course there may be other advanced innovations made possible by introducing support of this device, which I am sure the fertile minds of the RME development team might identify.

Any thoughts about its inclusion in the roadmap for development of TMFX?

(Of course, there is still interest in other extensions of TMFX to support live work, such as crossfading between snapshots, rather than a straight cut.  Any New Year’s resolutions in this regard?)

Make Audio Great Again!

De gustibus - et sonus - non est disputandum

Re: iPad TotalMixFX - support for Apple Pencil

I am not aware of special support necessary for the Apple pencil. Doesn't it work as you thought - exactly like a finger/touch, but more precise?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Re: iPad TotalMixFX - support for Apple Pencil

Not when I first tried it. (I had previously only used in Notes, where there were some difficulties. I found it hard to find  good documentation regarding the way the Pencil works.) It appeared not to work as a passive artificial finger, with the capacatative sensing on the screen.  But I can’t confirm that the Pencil was connected to the system at that time.   

But I just tried again, after checking under System/Bluetooth than it is in fact connected to the iPad.  (It appears that it does not stay permanently connected, especially after a restart, so to be sure, it should always be initialised by plugging it into the iPad Lightning port.  It then showed as connected and indeed it does work exactly as you stated.   

OK, Take 2 ...

Thanks!

De gustibus - et sonus - non est disputandum