Topic: fireface ucx and Moog mother

Hi guys

I would like connect my mother 32 with my fireface ucx. The UCX is connected by USB to my mac. I tried to connect the moog by a 1/4 stereo jack cable to  inputs 3 and then 4 in the front of the Fireface and it's working. I can see in Total Mix the channel signal input but if I try to connect it to one of the rear analog inputs lines, it doesn't work.

Is there some difference between front and rear inputs?

Do I have to set something up on TotalMix?

Thanks

Re: fireface ucx and Moog mother

You cannot plug a stereo signal into a balanced mono input. You need a so called insert cable which has stereo TRS on one side and two mono TS on the other.

I don't know why inputs 3/4 worked - did you use a different cable? What about inputs 7/8?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by baliboy 2018-01-21 20:06:07)

Hi MC

thank you for your note.

The cable is the same: 1/4 stereo TSR. As I said: If i connect the cable in the front inputs everithings is fine, but if i plug it in the rear inputs ( all of them) I can see on Totalmix just a tiny signal on the channel.

Could be something to do with instrument line inputs vs analog line inputs ?
Are the front UCX input different from the rear ones?

I tried also to plug a korg electribe esx into the rear UCX inputs from the ESX phone output with the same cable and .... it's work

I'm a bit confused about why Mother 32 doesn't work and  Korg does.
For sure I missing something that I don't know

First get the cable that I wrote about. Then it will work everywhere.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

with the cable that you wrote about it' working smile
But , just for my information, can I ask you why?

I mean why with the Korg electribe ESX it's working with a normal 1/4 stereo jack and with Moog mother 32 i need an insert cable?

anyway thanks a lot MC

The Korg's output is not stereo in one connector?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

The moog is mono AFAIK (I have a sub37 and it is mono) unless you use the headphones output. The headphones is also mono soundwise (the whole synth is mono) but it is a normal stereo headphones out.
On a mono out you should not use a trs cable as the ring will not get any signal. Use a TS cable.
Cheers!

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

MC wrote:

The Korg's output is not stereo in one connector?

The Korg headphone output I think is stereo then it has 4 mono outputs more.

The Moog 32 has just one output (where you can also plug headphone) and i was thinking that it was stereo but i was wrong as Vinark said. It's a mono out.