1 (edited by daphnederbyshire 2018-01-22 16:25:15)

Topic: SOLVED : PCIe Multiface Win 10 Upgrade = Host Error

My HDSPe card/Multiface has been working great in my Win10 PC since the OS was released. I've just completed a problematic upgrade to Win 10 v.1709 (because it wouldn't stop nagging until I did), during which I had to strip the machine down (both in terms of hardware and software (services, startup items, registry entries, etc)) to troubleshoot problems with the upgrade process.

I got everything up and running, but since reinstalling the Multiface box displays the host error red light.  I've been trying for a couple of days now to fix it, but to no avail.  sad

This is what I've tried so far :

1. Deleting all drivers and reinstalling from scratch.

2. Using older versions of the driver.

3. Different firewire cables.

4. Different PCIe slots for the HDSPe card.

5. Disabling fast start-up.

6. Using an external power supply.

7. Flashing the PCIe card with the pcie_fut.exe utility (Rev 20).

The results are consistent, no matter which configuration I tried :

1. The PCIe card is found and identified as "RME Hammerfall DSP" in Device Manager. 

2. The driver installs and says it's working properly, the date and version matches the install.

3. A new "Audio inputs and outputs" section in Device Manager displays all of the Multiface's I/O - regardless of if the Multiface is plugged in.  Seems pretty suspicious to me but I don't know what it means.

4. Totalmix and the RME config app never loads in the system tray.

5. Whenever the PC is on the Multiface has the red host error light on, nothing else changes.

6. I could have swore the PCIe card had its own entry in Device manager prior, now only the two entries described above are listed.

7. I am sad.

If I thought I could fix it by buying a new one I would, but I have no way of telling whether it's Windows 10 that I've messed up or the hardware.  Everything else on the OS is working great, it's just the HDSPe/Multiface that's not playing ball.

Any suggestions would be most gratefully received.  Thanks in advance.

Here is the DPINST.log from the latest run, they all look kinda like this.

INFO:   ****************************************
INFO:   01/21/2018 17:22:44
INFO:   Product Version 2.1.0.0.
INFO:   Version: 6.0.6000 
INFO:   Platform ID: 2 (NT)
INFO:   Service Pack: 0.0
INFO:   Suite: 0x0300, Product Type: 1
INFO:   Architecture: AMD64.
INFO:   Interactive Windows Station
INFO:   Command Line: 'C:\Users\Daphne\AppData\Local\Temp\rme\dpinst64.exe'
INFO:   DPInst is not multi-lingual.
INFO:   ****************************************
INFO:   Current working directory: 'C:\Users\Daphne\AppData\Local\Temp\rme'
INFO:   Running on path 'C:\Users\Daphne\AppData\Local\Temp\rme'
INFO:   User UI Language is 0x809.
INFO:   Install option set: Force install if driver is not better.
INFO:   Install option set: uninstall will be set to delete driver binaries.
INFO:   Found driver package: 'C:\Users\Daphne\AppData\Local\Temp\rme\hdsp.inf'.
INFO:   Preinstalling 'c:\users\daphne\appdata\local\temp\rme\hdsp.inf' ...
INFO:   ENTER:  DriverPackagePreinstallW
INFO:   Driver package is already preinstalled 'c:\users\daphne\appdata\local\temp\rme\hdsp.inf'.
SUCCESS:c:\users\daphne\appdata\local\temp\rme\hdsp.inf is preinstalled.
INFO:   RETURN: DriverPackagePreinstallW  (0xB7)
INFO:   ENTER:  DriverPackageGetPathW
INFO:   RETURN: DriverPackageGetPathW  (0x0)
INFO:   ENTER:  DriverPackageInstallW
INFO:   Installing INF file 'c:\users\daphne\appdata\local\temp\rme\hdsp.inf' (Plug and Play).
INFO:   Looking for Model Section [Devices.NTAMD64]...
INFO:   Installing devices with Id "PCI\VEN_10EE&DEV_3FC5&SUBSYS_000010EE&REV_3C" using INF "C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\hdsp.inf_amd64_1625d92fedc327f3\hdsp.inf".
INFO:   Will force install because driver is not better and force flag is set.
INFO:   ENTER UpdateDriverForPlugAndPlayDevices...
SUCCESS:RETURN UpdateDriverForPlugAndPlayDevices.
INFO:   Installation was successful.
INFO:   Phantom Device with Hardware/Compatible Id 'PCI\VEN_10EE&DEV_3FC5&SUBSYS_000010EE&REV_3C' already has 'C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\hdsp.inf_amd64_1625d92fedc327f3\hdsp.inf' installed on it.
INFO:   Phantom Device with Hardware/Compatible Id 'PCI\VEN_10EE&DEV_3FC5&SUBSYS_000010EE&REV_3C' already has 'C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\hdsp.inf_amd64_1625d92fedc327f3\hdsp.inf' installed on it.
SUCCESS:Install completed
INFO:   RETURN: DriverPackageInstallW  (0x0)
INFO:   Successfull installation of 'c:\users\daphne\appdata\local\temp\rme\hdsp.inf'.
INFO:   Machine will have to be rebooted to complete installation.
INFO:   Returning with code 0x40000001
INFO:   01/21/2018 17:23:23

Re: SOLVED : PCIe Multiface Win 10 Upgrade = Host Error

Can you change the PCIe card into another slot to initiate a new recognitition and driver install procedure?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi Matthias,

Yes, I tried that (point 4), the result is the same.  I believe the DPINSTALL.LOG is telling me it carried on using the same driver every time on the "INFO:   Phantom Device" lines, is that right?

Thanks.

I've managed to fix this, in case anyone needs to know in future this is what happened.

When Windows 10 does a significant upgrade it seems to lock a load of the drivers in place, making it difficult to remove entries in the registry (standard uninstall can't change these entries).  Some of those entries became corrupt along the way.  I removed the drivers, shut down the machine and removed the card.

Next, I manually deleted every registry entry for the search "hdsp".  To deal with the corrupt entries (undeleteable) I had to run regedit using the PSExec tool here : https://www.kapilarya.com/fix-an-error- … ing-opened

This gives you system permissions.  It's worth being thorough and removing everything (especially the scary unreadable ones referring to PCI, I suspect they were the biggest problem), when I finished I rebooted and reinstalled the latest drivers.  Shut the machine down, installed the card and rebooted, everything is back to normal!  smile

Obviously hacking the registry to get things to work is at your own risk, but I've got a working Multiface back.

The Device Manager sees the PCIe card, but not the external interface. So this looks like a hardware fault.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Both parts should be sent in for check and possible service. This usually happens via your local distributor.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME