Topic: Fireface UCX - Windows 10 firmware updater not up to date?

Hi, I was having some serious problems with my Fireface UCX on both windows 10 and macos (both updated to most recent); lots of sudden noise and complete dropouts and audio related programs freezing. Power cycling and resetting the machines was completely ineffective. Sometimes audio would come back for a minute and then die again. Anyway, I made sure my drivers were up to date (yes) and then checked the firmware updater on windows 10. All the versions/revisions matched but attempting to 'update' lead to lots of unspecified errors.

Anyways, I just switched over to my macbook and downloaded the firmware updater for it, and noticed it is a revision ahead of the windows updater (47 vs 46). After updating via mac my fireface is perfectly operational again on both platforms.

So, what's going on? Is it possible my firmware was corrupted somehow? Why wasn't it updatable on windows, and why doesn't the windows updater have the latest revision?

I haven't seen much about this issue so I'm assuming something weird is going on on my end, but the fact that updating the firmware with mac fixed everything leads me to believe otherwise. Is there something wrong with the windows tools?

Thanks.

Re: Fireface UCX - Windows 10 firmware updater not up to date?

When you flashed the Mac firmware why didn't you read the readme?

----------------
Workaround for USB2 recognition with MacBook 2016 and newer

- The USB firmware of Fireface UC, UCX, UFX, UFX II, 802 and Babyface now includes a special USB reset to enable recognition of USB 2 when plugging in the USB-C adapter. Other RME interfaces are not affected by this compatibility problem
----------------

This workaround is not needed for Windows machines (so not included in the Windows FUT at this time), and has nothing to do with your issues.

I suspect that you had a not reliably working USB connection (cable or port) that caused all these problems. Gone after reconnecting. No problem with firmware or FUT.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME