1 (edited by tzzsmk 2018-02-14 18:58:10)

Topic: questions and bugs about TotalMix FX

Hello,
I decided to write all my questions about TotalMix FX in single post, which I wasn't able to find clear answer yet,
hopefully reducing clutter on the forum, english isn't my native language, so I apologize for misinterpretations in advance,
1) if default situation, input recording in DAW is "pre fader"(?), then if I check EQ+D on record, does it make input recording post EQ+D and still pre-fader?
2) does EQ+D tickbox setting affect DUR (direct usb recording) result in any way, when recording inputs?
3) in order to record reverb*delay "bus" into a DAW, I'd need to choose any of the physical outputs in the bottom row of TMFX, dial up 100% wet FX signal green slider on it, don't route ANY inputs into it, and loopback as hardware input which would be recorded?
4) what's the best way to achieve brickwall limiting in TMFX? of what I understand, either I could use compressor at dynamics section, and dial up highest ratio at last few dB, or I can enable autogain, with no gain but minimum 3dB headroom, eventually the "auto gain" on digitally controlled mic pres, such as RME UFX?
5) following the previous question, in order to translate such limiting into DAW recording workflow, is that achievable with EQ+D tickbox then?
6) if I have let's say one input (either hardware or software) being sent to for ex. phones output, is it possible to quickly route it to another for ex. 8 adat channels, using trim feature doesn't work, as it affects only non-minus-infinite value faders, I am aware of ability to left-click the very bottom of the fader "bus" where menu with outputs appears to tick, but that doesn't route anything either, only focuses the target bus
7) in order to use 5 phones busses without any main monitors (1 being the actual phones, other 4 being analog pairs or adat pairs), best would be to route actual phones as "main out", and the other 4 as "phones 1, 2, 3, 4"? or I get literally no advantage of making phones busses?
8) unless I mislooked something, why is there no gain knob feature for line analog inputs on FF UFX compared to FF 802?
9) when using multiple RME interfaces from one PC/Mac, is snapshot and workspace tied to those all devices at once, or can be individually loaded and used even if let's say one of those devices is removed or replaced with different model? (for ex. two UFX of which one replaced by UFX II, can the remaining UFX config be recalled as well as TotalMix, or would it be better to make entire setup of workspace and snapshots from scratch?
10) when using multiple RME interfaces under Windows, in ASIO mode up to 3 devices can be aggregated, on Mac platform running CoreAudio mode, (how) is this possible (if daw supports it and if those multiple interfaces clocks are sync'ed)?
11) I observed a bug in TMFX (1.43 and also 1.50 beta 3, Mac versions), when I add busses in Control Room section, and then recall previously saved Snapshot, the added "unsaved" busses remain at Control Room section but also reappear at Hardware Outputs (both will follow the same actual routing as defined by recalled saved Snapshot)
12) mute and solo - still tricky for me, master buttons purpose is to let user pick multiple busses which then are muted/soloed simultaneously? on the other hand mute/solo within "Groups" section are not applied across entire TMFX? so clicking mute will by default mute for "everyone" but solo will only solo for target bus (in routing mode "submix"), but when in "free" mode, why the mute or solo group will still be created for only one bus, not across entire TMFX?
13) in relation to previous question, I noticed that when I make mute group, it is specific to just one output bus, but if I manually click the mute buttons, those inputs are muted for all output busses, so how can I make system-wide mute group?
14) another bug (?) I observed is that clicking cue, then any of the Mute group, then cue again causes entire M/S/F assignments to randomly disappear in TMFX entirely and re-appear when clicking cue again, toggling the Mute group and then clicking cue on different bus

HDSPe AIO, ADI-2 DAC, Fireface UFX, Octamic D, Octamic II
Reaper, High Sierra