Topic: Routing DAW outputs in TM software inputs

I’m using external FX in a loop on my Fireface 802. I’m using Cubase 9.5 Pro as my DAW.

I’m routing the VST synth output through the FX loop and recording the audio. I’m wanting to get just the click track over headphones and just the wet/dry mix over the main monitors.

The question, how do I configure which software channels in TM receive different Cubase outputs?

Re: Routing DAW outputs in TM software inputs

https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/index.php/Attachment/1988-TotalMix-Diagram-Overview-Signal-Flow-jpg/

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

3 (edited by ramses 2018-03-26 09:30:04)

Hi, it was late and I was unsure whether a diagram like this might already help you.

I created a blog article which explains basic use of TotalMix FX: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … rnal-equi/

Also RME offers these very nice video tutorials, the URLs I collected here : https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … al-Videos/

Routing in TM FX "submix mode" is easy.

1. Ensure that "submix mode" is selected in TM FX (upper right: Routing Mode -> Submix mode)

2. You click to a HW output and then see the complete picture what is being routed to this particular output. Simply look at the fader positions of HW inputs and SW playback channels.

2a. the top row "HW inputs" represents all inputs of your recording interface. Please note: audio is always passed to the DAW/applications. Mute of an input channel is only active for the submixes (what goes out through the HW outputs) that you create in TM FX.

2b. the middle row "SW playback" represents Audio which is being sent by applications to the outputs of your recording interface. Please note: audio is not directly sent to the hardware outputs. You need to route that output from the SW playback channels (middle row) to the HW outputs (bottom row).

By these basic operating principles you can deduce some "rules of thumb", like i.e.:
- with TM FX you can create as many submixes as your recording interface has HW outputs
- if you need to implement a routing in submix mode, break the routing tasks into pieces and start to think from the outputs .. what needs to arrive on a particular output for your desired routing. Then click on this HW output and simply raise and lower the faders of HW inputs (inputs of the recording interface) and SW playback channels (outputs of your applications/DAW) as you need and as I described above.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Chimera1to1 wrote:

The question, how do I configure which software channels in TM receive different Cubase outputs?

The DAW uses the RME ASIO driver.
Then you can use up to the max number of inputs and outputs in Cubase, you need to configure the I/O channels for your cubase project.
If you send something in Cubase to Analog 1/2 then it appears in TM FX in the SW playback channel AN 1/2.

The final routing you perform in TM FX, to which HW outputs SW playback channel i.e. AN 1/2 shall be routed.
1. Click to each of the desired HW outputs (bottom row) and
2. Raise the fader of SW playback channel AN 1/2 for each of the selected outputs, then you will hear on each of these HW output what the Application sent to SW Playback Channel AN 1/2 (middle row).

5 (edited by ramses 2018-03-26 09:44:27)

An alternative is to use the DAW mode, but then you loose all the routing capabilities of TM FX.
Then you need to route with the DAW.
Then all HW inputs go to the DAW and the outputs go straight to the actual outputs of the recording interface.

But then you loose all the flexibility of TM FX to influence the routing, create and permanently store the routings as you need it for your work as well as near zero latency monitoring as now all needs to go through the DAW.

Thanks Ramses, that’s great. It was the bit about routing Cubase to 1 and 2 then sending it to software 1 and 2 that I didn’t understand. Thanks again