Topic: Understanding the conversion quality

Hi there!

First of all I have to admit that I don't fully understand the life of digital converters. I know theoretically how they work but I'm more interest how they perform in practice.

I have an old Fireface UC. It's a great interface. I love it! I know ADI-2 Pro has better converters than UC.
But if I'm running project 44,1khz / 24-bit, play and record music with these two devices, can I get somehow better sound quality with ADI-2 pro? Does ADI2-Pro "draw" the sound more precise than my old interface with that same sample rate? Or play it more precise through my speakers/headphones? If it does how is it possible? Does it have more information?

I think this is still the question that shares different opinions. I'd like to hear the answer from RME engineers. Thank you and sorry for being dumb!

Re: Understanding the conversion quality

Well. Actually after reading these posts about the quality maybe it's just impossible to answer that question so we can leave it here... smile Now reading: Gearslutz loop back test... Maybe have to just try out myself.

This test has near zero relevance.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

4 (edited by vinark 2018-03-28 20:03:32)

Not near zero, sub zero. It can make a bad interface look good and visa verse!
Only thing that changes with converter quality is noise and distortion. I still think recent quality improvements are over rated by most of us. They are there but
A: at very low levels (literally) and
B: converters are already much better then anything we throw at it. Vinyl, mics, pre amps speakers phones etc etc. Unless maybe you work in the most esoteric studios with the most expensive gear.
The noise floor in my studio is absolutely higher then my converters ;-)

A list:
Creativity
The talent (musicians)
The engineers
The room
Mic placement
The microphones themselves
The preamps, compressors etc
Plugins
Then maybe DAW and Converters.
All IMHO of course

Vincent, Amsterdam