Topic: Will this damage the Fireface ?? ...

Hi,

I need to send a SPDIF signal from the Fireface 400 to two different devices, but the Fireface only has 1 SPDIF output.  Is it okay to simply use a y-cable or might doing so damage the FF400 (or the devices)?    I would only be monitoring on one of the devices at any time.

Thanks,

Sonic

Re: Will this damage the Fireface ?? ...

The FF400 supports coaxial SPDIF and optical SPDIF (ADAT). Doesn't this help ?

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:

The FF400 supports coaxial SPDIF and optical SPDIF (ADAT). Doesn't this help ?

Unfortunately no, both external devices accept coax only.

4 (edited by ramses 2018-03-30 09:02:42)

Maybe this
https://www.amazon.de/Ligawo-6518752-Ko … B00LZRRG3G

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

5 (edited by SonicExplorer 2018-03-30 20:14:36)

I'd rather not use a switch box, those can actually cause damage over time if not designed properly.  Plus, those switchers are usually for situations that require selecting between 2 input signals rather than splitting 1 output to 2 separate inputs.  A y-splitter/adapter is generally used for that.  I'm just not certain when it comes to SPDIF/digital if it is safe to do?....   

Sonic

6 (edited by Randyman... 2018-03-30 23:00:53)

You will be "double terminating" the Coax output.  But if it will handle driving 1/2 load, it might just work as long as the two receiving units don't interfere with each other (shouldn't).  Otherwise a Coax SPDIF Distribution Amplifier/splitter would likely be needed as linked to above (that's NOT a switch box, but a 1x2 active distribution amp).

Alternatively, you could also convert from Toslink SPDIF to Coax for the 2nd feed (set the Toslink Optical to "SPDIF" on the FF400).  I'm not sure if the FF400 allows discrete Optical/Coax SPDIF source signals (doubt it) - but that's not one of your requirements smile

cool

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

7 (edited by SonicExplorer 2018-03-31 02:01:54)

Randyman... wrote:

Alternatively, you could also convert from Toslink SPDIF to Coax for the 2nd feed (set the Toslink Optical to "SPDIF" on the FF400). 
cool

Are there even adapters for that?  I've seen Coax to Toslink, but not the other way around....

Now that's a nice box. It is passive and built even for high frequency video signals, so I see no reason why it shouldn't work.

A passive cable splitter might work too. All you have to do is set the SPDIF output in the Settings dialog to Professional, that doubles the output voltage.

Nothing can break, so just try.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME