Topic: Big problem!

Hi,
I work since a long long time with RME & win (approx 10 cards). For the first time with win 10 and it's impossible to try a stable config. I use latency cheker, desactive all no need materials, driver software, etc.. It's with a new computer lenovo legion Y920-17IKB, I7, chipset cm 238, 2*8g ram, SSD, geforce 1070. Log : nuendo 8 or foobar or ... For the first time i've many error with the ufx card. the same with another card, cable.....with without power. Please help me!!!! the technical support don't reply!
ok my english is horrible, but
Have a nice day

Re: Big problem!

If the problem also occurs with another card, then it seems to be a compuer performance issue of some kind. Does the USB Settings dialog show "Errors"? Have you tried all available USB ports?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Hi,
Thanks for the answer, yes the usb settings show cumulative errors also with only stereo play. Also with big latency. i,m not sure but i think i've tried 2 ports on the same side, but ??? i try the other
Regards
Marc

Really i,m sorry ! now, with the usb in the other side (the same ? all usb3 ? i've 35 tracks 96khz 24bits, and 35 big plugins without error at 96 buffer size !!!!!!!!!!! smile please, if you have 15 seconds : how is possible?
Many thanks

5 (edited by ramses 2018-04-14 20:45:29)

On some mainboards the USB ports are not from AMD/Intel Chipset, but from other 3rd party chipset vendors like ASMEDIA.
ASMEDIA USB3 chipsets are known to cause issues.
If you want a definitive answer, then you need to evaluate yourself deeper. Look into your mainboards manual and check which USB port is connected to what chipset..
There can also be other reasons, but this is IMHO the most common for issues / solutions that you describe.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

6 (edited by Timur Born 2018-04-16 07:48:33)

Get yourself a USB-C adapter and try to use that port. It's a combined Thunderbolt/USB 3.1 (Gen2) port, which means that it runs directly off an Intel chipset.

This one works well with non Thunderbolt USB-C ports (usually 3.0), so it may work with TB/3.1 ports, too:

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Adapter-Co … pter+cable

Good idea Timur.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

hi, thank you. I don't understand something! Why my config work if i used my port at the right side and not at the left side ? if lenovo use the asmedia control for 2 ports (left) i imagine he used the same for the 2 ports at right, no ?

9 (edited by ramses 2018-04-16 09:26:22)

cscs wrote:

Why my config work if i used my port at the right side and not at the left side ?

Because ASMedia USB3 chips are known to not work reliably in certain USB transfer modes.

cscs wrote:

If lenovo use the asmedia control for 2 ports (left) i imagine he used the same for the 2 ports at right, no ?

No not necessarily. A basic number of USB ports is being provided by the chipset (South-Bridge, see also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southbridge_(computing)).

Sometimes more USB ports are required, so additional communication chips are being connected to the Southbridge, like one from ASMedia.

Where those additional communication chips are being placed on the PCB is simply a question of practicability.
Short signal paths on PCB, avoid as many multiple layers as possible, make it easy for users to access the ports at usual conveniant places.

An USB port in the front of a Laptop might maybe be nice for the routing of signal paths on the mainboard, but
which user would want something like this...

So all of these considerations and circumstances can lead to a different distribution of USB ports coming from chipset and from 3rd party I/O chips like from ASMedia on the left / right side and sometimes even on the back of a laptop.

For Desktop mainboards this is very often documented properly in the handbook, which USB port is fed by chipset or by 3rd party / add-on communication chip, but in this case I found no information in Lenovo documentation. The only way to find this out is "eventually" a look at the mainboard, but I wouldnt recommend this with Laptops as it can be very tricky to get components out, additionally on a multi-layer PCB its not guaranteed to see this.

Ok, now I'm late for my job, when i've a time i look and send the answer. Perhaps this help somebody!