Topic: Help with setup: Digiface USB + Adat VS Fireface UC

Hi! I'm a professional guitar player, and I'm currently using an Audient id22 to record myself because it has great preamps. However, I want to make use of realtime VST's with my guitar, and Audient's latency is unacceptable for live use. So I'm presented with two options:

1 - Keep the id22 and buy a Digiface, using the Audient preamps via ADAT. At 44.1 Khz it should introduce 0,88 ms of latency if I made my calculations right.

2 - Sell the id22 at a loss, and buy a Fireface UC.

My primary concern is latency, sound quality and budget in this order. I work with dancers and the slightest amount of latency would affect my work. Any opinion will be welcome, thank you all!

2 (edited by ramses 2018-04-15 17:00:17)

Re: Help with setup: Digiface USB + Adat VS Fireface UC

Not sure how flexible you are in terms of budget.

The best option IMHO would be to get the UFX II without compromises, as you get then best quality paired with most flexibility
- Latest converter technology with lowest latencies
- new analog circuit design compared to the old flagship interface UFX, best sound
- Durec allows connection of USB stick or harddisk to be able to record either fully stand-alone without PC
or to have a backup running in parallel to survive a potentially hanging PC during a recording session,
shall you make recordings of your life shows
- improved phones outputs
- display allows for fully stand-alone operation in addition to 6 recall-able user presets
- Class Compliance mode allows i.e. connection of iPAD to run either TotalMix FX and / or Cubasis
- FX chip on board
- possibility to connect ARC USB directly to the device
- a powerful 30 channel IN / 30 channel OUT recording interface, which doesnt put any high requirement
on the computer hardware, as 30 channels IN and OUT can easily being transferred via USB2 still.
So you get most flexibilty and do not necessarily require USB3 ...

You can read some additional information in this blog article that I wrote.
The UFX II is same as UFX+ (minus MADI, minus USB3, minus Thunderbolt).
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … 8-RME-UFX/

There you also find an screenshot of an Excel comparing the RTT times which the ASIO driver reports to the DAW.
UFX, UFX in front of a RayDAT, UFX+ .. all nicely compared.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

In terms of budget, the UC is the most I could afford right now, and that would include selling the Audient. I'm upgrading other elements for the shows and can't allocate more money to this area until we have some revenue. Plus, the form factor has to be plane-friendly, so I've been running away from racks or anything similar.

4 (edited by ramses 2018-04-16 06:42:50)

Then maybe also have a look at the UCX. You can use also my comparison sheet here:
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/index.ph … 17-12-pdf/

The UCX came out 3y later than the UC, it has quicker AD/DA converter built-in. There are also other differencies, which could be worth for you to consider, maybe spending €300 more .. Especially as the UCX supports Class Compliant mode which could be very interesting for you from performer perspective.
Now 1st the device differencies, later some more info on CC-mode:

• USB2+FW400 (2 options)

• Newer converter with lower AD/DA conversion latency [samples]: 14/7 vs 43/28 (UC)

• Micstasy/UFX preamp technology

• Has AutoSet which is very useful to find proper gain settings quicker. UC has no AutoSet.

• Complete FX chip on board (Reverbs, Delays, Dynamics), UC has no FX chip

• UCX is fully Class Compliant, UC only MIDI

• Stand-alone capabilities: UCX has 6 different stand-alone profiles which are recallable on the device, UC: last settings.

Class Compliant mode enables you to connect i.e. an iPAD with TotalMix FX or Cubasis running on the iPAD to enable for such a PC-less setup, as shown on Messe Frankfurt:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjyIBKR798c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msD2fnAEwec

I think from a performer perspective this would give you an additional value for just right now and the future.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

I can't find the converter latency of the digiface usb, do you know that numbers? Thanks for your time!

6 (edited by ramses 2018-04-20 11:26:50)

kambor wrote:

I can't find the converter latency of the digiface usb, do you know that numbers? Thanks for your time!

Because it has not AD/DA converter. Its a pure digital interface with only a monitor output for phones.

If you plan to connect your audient to the digiface via ADAT then you need to consider the AD/DA latency of the Audient.
Inside of the digiface usb's routing matrix you will have near zero latency.

If you use effects of your DAW you need to add the Round Trip time between Digiface USB and your DAW.

Another thing to consider, I am not sure whether your audient can be used in standalone mode.
Eventually you have to connect it as well to the PC so that it gets proper initialization.

Easier would be to work with one device.

You can take the UC, but I still would recommend to spend a few bucks more for the UCX for the named reasons.
You can take also the Digiface USB, but then you have to work with 2 recording interfaces which increases a little bit the complexity of the setup.

Of course, I didn't think about the digiface correctly, Doh! Thank you for taking the time to clarify my confusion, I think I will get the UCX and get a used macbook instead of getting a new one and saving on the interface. At the end of the day, it's easier to scale computer side in shows than scale the interface side...

It's a pity the thing with the Audient drivers, because the interface sounds great, but I can't afford the slightest sloppyness in rhythm.

Thanks again for your help ramses!

You're welcome and you took a good decision.