Topic: RME Babyface Pro Line input issue

Hello

I am having trouble with setting proper input gain for the Line inputs 3 +4 on the Babyface Pro. I play and record guitar and have not come across this issue with any other interface ive used.

The problem is that when the guitar is plugged in it clips at all gain levels. The gain knob in totalmix fx is at 0 dB and im clipping at a pretty relaxed strumming strength. I record lots of metal, so it requires putting some oomph into hard strums and riffs. A workaround is to turn the guitars volume knob down a bit, but this affects the tone greatly. The pickups I use sound best when the guitar volume is 100%.

With other audio interfaces ive used, at 0 gain the guitar input would be either inaudible or very quiet, so it surprised me that im clipping even at ) gain. Ive tried searching forums and the manual but cant find anything that would solve this issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: RME Babyface Pro Line input issue

Is the clipping just signalled or also sounds bad? Clipping short-term peaks will happen anyway, either here at the analog input or later when processing the signal (fuzz etc).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME