1 (edited by Wnred 2018-05-07 16:51:57)

Topic: Fireface UFX II problems with Bitwig Studio 2 Windows

Bitwig has a problem with the Fireface UFX ll. If I open the ASIO dialog from Bitwig and try to do changes, then the ASIO dialog freezes and I have to click a few times until the UFX setup dialog opens. And also If I save the changes in Bitwig, the ASIO Window in Bitwig again freezes and doesn't recognize the new setup unless I close and reopen Bitwig.

I have a project with 10 tacks 24/96 which with 128 samples of audio buffer is getting drop outs and crackles and with 256 samples just a bit better. CPU usage around 12%

With the older audio interface Focusrite Clarett 8Pre Thunderbolt I didn't have any problem. Surprisingly the same project works with 64 samples audio buffer without any drop out and crackle.

What I tried to fix that issue.
E clean installation of Windows 10 Pro, disabled all unnecessary features in Windows like antivirus, defender, graphically effects, set the CPU performance to high performance in the energy & power settings, set the processor scheduling to background services, deactivated the system sounds.... In the BIOS I disabled Hyperthreading, The Audio and Vt-d.
Installed the latest FF driver and the latest Bitwig version, connected the FireFace to the various USB ports, replaced a known good USB cable.....but still the same. (apart the keyboard and mouse, no other peripheral devices connected)

LatencyMon doesn't show any issue during the test.

My PC configuration: i7 7700K, Gigabyte GA-Z270X-UD5, 16 GB Ram Corsair 3000 Mhz, Samsung EVO 960, PSU b-Quiet 500 W.

The dealer nearby told me, that his configuration (Bitwig 2 and Babyface Pro) works fine and doesn't get any trouble.

Anybody an idea how can I fix the issues? A PCie USB Card from Sonnet with a Frisco Logic Chipset? (800€ vs 1999€ nice!)

2 (edited by ramses 2018-05-07 17:33:30)

Re: Fireface UFX II problems with Bitwig Studio 2 Windows

Which Win10 version ?
Which RME driver version ?
Which UFX II firmware version ?

Eventually an older driver version might help, like here: https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopi … 94#p130994

That was for a 802, maybe also helps for your UFX II.

Use an USB 2 or 3 port coming from chipset.

You could get an USB3 card with Fresco chipset, but this should also work with any USB 2 or 3 port coming from chipset. 30 channels i/o is not that plenty.

You also might be bitten by some rest issues in Win10 which can lead to blocking of audio related processes up to 100ms which is a lot. See also my blog article: http://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/inde … ing-EN-DE/

Win10 1803 should have fixed the issue around "Virtual Lock" parameter. But sadly 1803 introduces other oddities: https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=27106 (sry only available in german, try google translator)

Maybe also consider a Win 7 parallel installation until Win 10 becomes more mature, shall this be windows related, which IMHO can't be excluded.

But maybe you can find already a solution using an older version of RME driver, although I regard it as strange that the latest driver version shall have this issue.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Hi Ramses, thank you for replying!
I installed Windows 10 Pro with the latest update a couple of days ago.
The RME Driver 09654 I also tried 09653 v3.03
UFX ll Firmware v16

Try to disable MMCSS in the Fireface settings dialog (About) for the dropouts. Try to disable WDM for the freezes with dialog changes.