Topic: "Babyface (23612398): The connected device is not supported"

Greetings.

I'm trying to get my Babyface (original, not pro) to work with my iPad Mini 2 and my iPhone.  I've updated to the latest firmware on the Babyface (v220, driver v3.07), and iOS 11.4 on both devices.  When I plug in through a powered USB hub to my iPhone or iPad, I get the error message in the title: "Babyface (23612398): The connected device is not supported"

I tried buying TotalMixFX for iPad and running it.  It doesn't even recognize the Babyface.

The powered USB hub works fine with my MacBook pro -- I can plug in the Babyface, a Linnstrument and an iLok with no problem.  All are recognized and work seamlessly.

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you.

Re: "Babyface (23612398): The connected device is not supported"

The Babyface manual explains how to set it into Class Compliant mode. And what cable is needed for iPad operation.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I followed the directions here: https://www.rme-audio.de/download/cc_mo … face_e.pdf

I can get it to work if I plug directly into the CCK.

But what if I want to use a hub?  The instructions don't mention a hub. 

If I extrapolate: power on Babyface in class compliant mode, then plug in USB, then plug into hub, then plug hub into CCK, and then plug CCK into iPad, it doesn't work.  It's not recognized in any apps or TotalMix.

I need to use a hub for my intended use, so I can control the iPad with an external controller, and get sound out of the Babyface.  Is this simply impossible?

That is impossible. The iPad does not support USB hubs, powered or not.

It might work with a specialized hardware that can handle such setups, like the iConnect devices (no personal experience though).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

5 (edited by JES 2018-06-03 15:32:15)

Ugh.  That's really disappointing.  Though I suppose the logical thing to do then is hook up the Linnstrument to the MIDI inputs of the Babyface, and then run it off separate power as well.  But I was hoping to add a knobby controller as well.

6 (edited by net147 2018-06-07 13:41:13)

I have been using a RME Babyface Pro in Class Compliant mode connected to Plugable USB 2.0 7-Port Powered Hub (USB2-HUB7BC) connected to camera connection kit connected to iPad Air 1st generation. It has been working fine with the TotalMix FX app on the iPad.

Then you were just lucky. And you did not do what the user here tries to do - have the iPad seeing a second device this way.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

8 (edited by JES 2018-06-29 14:33:10)

So to be clear—will any RME USB interface work with a iPad in class compliant mode if it’s connected via a powered USB hub?