Topic: [Solved] Fireface 400 not working with USB - C

hey folks,

I have a new macbook pro 2018 (high sierra) with usb - c and a good old fireface 400 device.

I tried to connect them with a FW400 - FW800, a FW800 - Thunderbold 2 and a TB2 - TB3 / USB - C adapter chain. all original apple products and ITS NOT WORKING sad(((

I searched the internet, spoke to the RME support - no one could help me.

the red light on my fireface is still on, neither my macbook or logic connects to anything. there is no fireface found.

I cannot believe that nobody hasnt the same problems???

Thank you so much for your help!!!

Lars

Re: [Solved] Fireface 400 not working with USB - C

I've gotten mine as far as FW400-->FW800-->TB2. Getting to USB from there sounds really iffy, it's such a different protocol. First thing to test would be some TB device via your USB-TB adapter to check that it works. It may be time to upgrade! I may be upgrading soon so I can get lower latency.

That setup usually just works. Sounds more like the 'allow' problem for third party drivers. Please re-download the latest driver 3.35 and install it again.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Did you also use an external power supply for the Fireface 400?

Regards,
Audio AG Support

Good hint - won't work without.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I believe we covered all these factors - hope I did not overlook one. 
Did you see this?
https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/AG … ion_EN.pdf

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

RME Support wrote:

Did you see this?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Awesome!! It worked!!!!   Thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!!!
It was the driver...
smile smile smile

Dear Daniel Fuchs,

I have a problem similar to the one of Lars, as I would love to connect my old Fireface 400 to a modern MS Surface Book. Unfortunately the link you provided in ...

RME Support wrote:

Did you see this?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

... does not work anymore. Hence, where can I, please, find the document "AG_RME_High_Sierra_Installation_EN.pdf"?

Thank you in advance and best wishes,

Bernd.

Your Surface runs on Windows, so you don't need a pdf that explains installation on a Mac...

As far as I know the Surface does not have Thunderbolt, so you can not use a Thunderbolt to FireWire adapter. So there is no way to connect the FF400 to it.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Dear Matthias Carstens,

indeed, the Surface runs on Win10 and it comes with a USB-C connect (1st generation USB 3.1). The latter, however, is - though not identical - VERY similar to Thunderbolt, which is why I am curious to learn about the solution for Mac, in particular since I am running macOS 10.14/Mojave in a virtual machine on the Surface. (And yes, I do expect high latencies in such a scenario in the first place ...)

Furthermore, if - as it seems - there is definitely no way of connecting my beloved FF400 to the Surface, I consider buying either an iMac or a MacBook soon. Hence, if the requested information ("AG_RME_High_Sierra_Installation_EN.pdf") is not exclusively provided to hard-core Mac users and if it is still available, I would appreciate you letting me know, where I can possibly download it.

With kind regards, Bernd.

The link has been fixed.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME