1 (edited by hiddengemrecords 2018-07-24 14:04:24)

Topic: ASIO Fireface Driver won't download to Windows 7 properly

Hey guys,

Hi, I was in the middle of a recording session with my RME Fireface400,
powered by my PC (Windows 7 Firewire cable/no power supply)

The Firewire shutdown automatically and I received the following message
"hdspf init failed"

I downloaded the new driver from the RME site and it began working again,
but then it happened again?

I used Nuendo 4,.I cannot select "ASIO Fireface" driver in my DAW anymore without that "error message." I tried to uninstall and then reinstall the driver and now "ASIO Fireface," is completely missing from my DAW and it is defaulting to ASIO4All which I do not use.

I also do not see this driver in my Device Manager at all, but may need help with that. I've never had any issues with this, and out of nowhere after pulling up an old session (possibly from a previous interface), the driver just stopped working.

I don't believe there is anything wrong with the firewire cable or device, but I really need help please. I've had the unit for a couple of years
with no issues.

I've left messages and emails with Synthax and haven't heard back as of yet.

Re: ASIO Fireface Driver won't download to Windows 7 properly

Anyone with some help on this, I'm desperate

Dont know why I cant get a response or return email from any tech support. Looks like its time to sell my 400 for a UA Apollo, this is ridiculous!

4 (edited by ramses 2018-07-25 06:09:12)

I would guess its due to vacation time, maybe give them a call.
Maybe your unit is defective if you checked already cables, drivers, etc.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Try to use an external power-supply first (the FF can work with a wide range of supplies), maybe your Firewire port's power delivery is broken. Or your FF is broken but may still work better with a different power-source.

Thanks Timur and Ramses for your reply.

Timur, I think I may be missing something, and I will admit I'm not super tech savvy.

I tried the unit with a power supply and it powers on okay, but don't I need still need the firewire cable connection to my PCIE card in order to operate with my DAW (Nuendo 4)?

I can't get the driver to download in order to get up and running, so I am wondering if my PC is not reading the device. I just bought a new PCIE card and cable and that is my next troubleshoot.

Another thing that happened which I forgot to mention is, the "RME and Total Mix" desktop icons will no longer open either. I am guessing this is related to my PC being unable to read that the unit is connected possibly? I hope it's just something simple like my card/cable, etc.

Of course you need the firewire cable.
It has been explained why you should try to apply a powersupply additionally.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

I understood that you power the unit via Firewire cable, so my suggestion was to try external power instead. That is just to test if external power gets the unit more stable.

Other than that, the unit could be broken, the FW cable could be broken or the FW port could be broken.

Timur, I installed a new PCIE card and new cable. I was able to download the ASIO Fireface driver, as it now finally appears in my DAW. The problem is still, when I select the ASIO Fireface driver, I am getting the same pop up error "hdspf init failed"

Any idea what this could be, or how to fix?

Which DAW is that? Could you try another one just for testing (download a trial)?

Yea, I was thinking that, I don't have any others though. I'm currently using Nuendo 4. It looks like someone had the same issue, same error code in the forum a few years ago with Cubase. The problem was solved when he powered the device. So maybe it's a power/connection thing with the unit, sadly.