1 (edited by korppi 2018-09-03 22:56:01)

Topic: jriver and multichannel output

Hello,

I would like active speaker system with the jriver multimedia center. My situation is:

- i have first edition of babyface, not pro

- i would need 8 outputs for the project

- I would get a nice deal on first edition of ufx, not ufx+ or ufx2

My questions are:

1. Is the first generation ufx capable of 8 outputs same time for 44,1khz, 96Khz or 192Khz?

2. Is there working solution of getting an ADAT device with the babyface? for example ADI-8 DS? What kind of problems will arise using the babyface ADAT? For example, a quote from another forum " RME Babyface has no word clock connection and the behringer requires that in order to sync as a slave"

3. Any other solution?

Re: jriver and multichannel output

1. Of course.

2. ADAT gives only 4 channels at 96, 2 channels at 192 kHz.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by JRT 2018-09-04 13:42:16)

korppi wrote:

- i have first edition of babyface, not pro
- i would need 8 outputs for the project

{{{ snip }}}

2. Is there working solution of getting an ADAT device with the babyface? for example ADI-8 DS? What kind of problems will arise using the babyface ADAT? For example, a quote from another forum " RME Babyface has no word clock connection and the behringer requires that in order to sync as a slave"

3. Any other solution?

You did not mention which Behringer ADAT connected unit was under discussion in the other forum you quoted, the unit that presented someone with problem with clock synchronization that they seemingly misunderstood. It would be very unusual for an ADAT connected AD/DA converter to not be able to slave clock synchronization from clock recovered from ADAT input to that device, as that is a key aspect in how those are often configured.

I am not very familiar with Behringer gear, but looking at pictures of the rear panel of the Behringer ADA8200 there is a region of the rear panel marked "SYNC" where there is a switch with a position allowing the unit to be slaved to the ADAT input. With that switch in that position, I would expect that it should recover external clock from that ADAT input stream and synchronize the internal clock to that. In that configuration, ignore the BNC connector, as the clock would be recovered from the incoming signal on the ADAT/TOSlink fiber optic cable, and the upstream RME Babyface would be the master clock in that setup.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/attachments/music-computers/694482d1506286265-2-adats-sync-only-one-works-20170924_133939.jpg

UFX would be the best choice for you.

UFX II even better, because the analog section has been enhanced compared to UFX and many other things. The ARC USB, if needed, can be attached directly to the unit for standalone operation.

After upgrading from UFX to UFX+ it appeared to me that the sound with my Geithain RL906D speakers had a better three-dimensional stage and sounded better than Geithain's own internal DA converter. UFX II is the same as UFX+ circuit / component wise (except USB3, TB, MADI).

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

5 (edited by JRT 2018-09-06 13:45:06)

korppi wrote:

Any other solution?

If you have 8-channel audio on the motherboard, I would suggest that you first try using that during the initial proof-of-concept interval of the design development. I am not suggesting that as a solution for the final playback system, but doing that would reduce costs of initial development and could be adequate to measure and listen to the developmental changes in the DSP filters. Depending on the CODEC and implementation (some are much further from horrible than others) you may find that the motherboard audio is adequate for design development up through fine tuning the voicing of the crossover, those latter stage tweaks that mostly balance design compromises in on-axis and off-axis response in the complex in-room response as summed at the listener's ears and as affected by the nonlinear nature of human hearing and perception, psychophysiology and psychoacoustics.

Before completing design development you may choose to alter the design to something very different from the initial concept, and that may require more than 8 channels, more especially if you decide to add multiple individually equalized subwoofers (as I would suggest) to better distribute and adjust sources of excitation of the modal response of the listening room. Modal response tends to dominate the problem around and below the Schroeder frequency, constructive and destructive interference of Eigentone fundamentals and low order harmonics associated with listening room modal resonances (standing waves associated with room boundary geometry), and likewise perhaps also interfence with a low frequency Helmholtz resonance associated with vents and openings connecting the listening room air mass compliance to other spaces.