1 (edited by Megalobass 2018-09-11 20:47:16)

Topic: How to control the input gain with Mackie Control Surface

Hi,

Is there any possibility to control the input gain of a RME preamp with the Mackie Control Surface ?

I would like to create a new setup for a recording session using two or more Octamic XTC. The XTC preamp are set as "Aux device" in TotalMix FX and all is working great in TotalMix FX : I can control all my preamps in TMFX.

I've did some test with Mackie Control and Mackie Control Extender and all is working great again. I can work like I did with a big console but with the RME quality and flexibility.

Now the only thing I need is to remote my pre gain...

Maybe is there any other (physical) control surface that could remote the preamp gain ? Any advice ?

Thanks for your feedback

Bertrand Allaume

Re: How to control the input gain with Mackie Control Surface

When using TotalMix FX it might be possible via OSC, but I will check that and other options.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Apart from OSC it is also possible via the CC9 messages mentioned in the manual. These work from channel 1 to 16 (0-15) and make no difference between the unit's own gain and the XTC gain.

To get the XTC gains into the range of 1 to 16 you could use the Channel Layout feature to define a MIDI controlled area where these gains are all acessible. And this can be done for a specific MIDI remote or any...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thank your feedback Matthias !

I'm aware about the CC9 messages but unfortunately there is no editor for the Mackie Control to add this kind of messages. I know that Behringer release an editor for the X-Touch. I will check...

My goal is to build a setup with a physical control surface to go back and forth between TotalMix and the DAW. If I find any solution I could recreate the workflow I have on big studio consoles.
TotalMix Remote and OSC App are great solution too but only in some cases, where you are not on the control room. App and iPad are good but you always need to double check were you put your finger and finally you work with your eyes and not with your hears ;-)

Any news from the Eucon side ?
Any other idea ?

Thank you !

Bertrand Allaume

Hello. I posted this thread (https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=32280) and found yours next: do you have any news, ideas concerning this precise manipulation? Thank you. Mathieu