1 (edited by hellska 2018-12-13 15:02:29)

Topic: RME driver corrupts Audio and MIDI setup on High Sierra

Hi,

I just installed the driver for my RME FW800 in my new macbook pro.
The installation is successful and I can use the RME.
Once I disconnect the RME from the laptop the Audio and MIDI  setup crashes with this message:

The MIDI Server can’t be opened.
Audio MIDI Setup couldn’t open the MIDI Server so you can’t view or edit your MIDI configurations.
If you recently installed a new MIDI driver, try uninstalling it and then open Audio MIDI Setup again. If Audio MIDI Setup works correctly after that, contact the driver’s manufacturer for further support.

Any DAW (Logic, Ableton Live, Reaper) hangs for long time until it throws an error and starts...

Version info:
OS version:       High Sierra version 10.13.6 (17G2307)
FW8000 Driver: fireface_x86_275.zip

Is there a procedure to uninstall completely the driver?
Is there the possibility to have this problem fixed?

Thank you all
Daniele

Re: RME driver corrupts Audio and MIDI setup on High Sierra

I don't know why you installed a 10 years old driver into a 2018 hardware. Current driver version is 3.3.5.

From the manual (from 2010):

The Fireface MIDI driver is a plug-In, installed to >Library/ Audio/ MIDI Drivers<, name is Fireface MIDI.plugin. Easy to delete into the trash can via drag and drp.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi MC,

thank you for your reply. I actually own an old RME and I installed that driver because it is required by the firmware of the card.
At the moment I do not have my sound card here to tell you exactly the model.
Maybe I can upgrade the RME firmware and upgrade to the newest driver, is there any recommendation for this procedure?

The uninstall is to verify if it actually fix the problem or not.
Then I should find a solution because I really love my RME.

Thank you again
Dan

No firmware "requires" a specific driver. You can simply install the latest driver and then update the firmware to the latest version. New firmware may be required for operation of the device, but not for installation.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Hi,
it's definitely the MIDI fireface driver that corrupts Audio and MIDI devices setup.
I'm quite sure wink you're right about the fact that no specific firmware is required to install the driver, but what's the point of installing a driver that does not operate with the device you own?
Anyway are there some things I should keep in mind before performing a firmware upgrade of my RME?

cheerz
:Dan