Topic: Aggregate 2 Fireface using only 1 port

Hello,

I have a Fireface 400. I connecte it to my iMac or macbook pro, using a cable Firewire 400-800 and a Firewire800- thunderbolt adaptator.
I would like to add one more RME soundcard to get more physical outputs.
I'm interested to buy another Fireface 400 (second hand).
I know that creating an aggregate devices is going to work (if I connect each Fireface400 independently, using 2 thunderbolt ports).

However, I would like to use only 1 thunderbolt port. The idea is to connected the 1st Fireface 400 to the 2nd Fireface 400, using a Firewire 400-400 cable, then connected the 2nd Fireface 400 to the computer using a Firewire 400-800 cable and a Firewire 800- thunderbolt adaptator. I would like to know if, in this case, the computer recognize 2 soundcards ? If yes, I could create an aggregate device.

I heard about Daisy chain function but I would like to know about my proposition.

At last, I would like to know if my proposition work with an additional Fireface UCX (in the idea to buy this sound card instead the Fireface 400). In this case, the idea is to connected the Fireface 400 to the Fireface UCX, using a Firewire 400-400 cable, then connected the Fireface UCX to the computer using a USB cable.

Thank you for your answer.
Best,
Alex

Re: Aggregate 2 Fireface using only 1 port

That might work, as FireWire 400 is enough to handle two FF400 on one line. Adding a UCX would work as well. Note thsat you have to sync both units via word clock.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME