1 (edited by Hvilsted 2019-01-02 21:00:46)

Topic: How to route FF400 -> optical out -> Hammerfall in -> Cubase

Hello.

First time poster.

I do NOT get the TotalMix FX at all and my hope is that someone here may be able to help me out.

My mate has a FireFace 400 and a Hammerfall HDSP 9652. The basic idea is to use the FireFace 400 as a preamp and route the signal from the analog inputs of the FF400 to the optical output of FF400, then take that signal with the input of the HDSP card, record it in Cubase while monitoring it by sending the signal back to the optical input of FF400 from the HDSP card and have the signal played through the analog outs 1/2 hooked up to ADAM A7X monitors.

I just don't know how to do that. I *have* gotten to the point where we could see the meters in Cubase show a signal from the FF400 while monitoring the track and hear Amplitube 4 working on the track. However, all the time there was a clean direct monitor signal and for the life of me I could not find a way to disable that. And I don't know at all how I managed to get sound through in the first place, and while goofing around with TotalMix FX I managed to lose my signal.

My signal chain should be something like FF400 analog in -> FF400 optical 1/2 out -> HDSP 1/2 in  -> Cubase -> HDSP 1/2 out -> FF400 optical 1/2 in -> FF400 analog 1/2 out.

The reason for this complex setup is that we need to run the FF400 as a stand-alone. My mate has a Z170 Gigabyte MB and it just won't run with FireWire it just doesn't work, but it does have a legacy PCI slot for the HDSP card. So right now the FF400 is hooked up to an older machine running Windows 7 with native FireWire support waiting to get the routing correct and then hopefully we can flash the settings to the FF400 and he won't need the Windows 7 machine any longer.

Please advice because I'm just not smart enough to figure this one out.

Best regards,
Hvilsted

Re: How to route FF400 -> optical out -> Hammerfall in -> Cubase

Have you seen the tutorial videos at rme.to/tv?

Rergards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Re: How to route FF400 -> optical out -> Hammerfall in -> Cubase

RME Support wrote:

Have you seen the tutorial videos at rme.to/tv?

Rergards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

I have not. I did not know of their existence. I will take a look at it. Is it possible to do what I need to do, or does the software/FF400 not support this setup?

Best regards,
Hvilsted