1 (edited by Jas0_0 2019-01-19 13:55:00)

Topic: ADI-2 Pro XLR output to RCA wiring

Hi, first of all apologies if this has been asked before, but my search didn’t turn up the answer I was after.

I’m very much an electronics beginner and I want to connect the XLR outs of an ADI-2 Pro FS to the RCA ins of my pre.  I am soldering my own wires using unbalanced cable.  The manual says pin 3 should be left unconnected, but should pin 1 be connected to the outer sleeve and pin 2 to the inner, or the other way round?

Thanks in advance,

J

Re: ADI-2 Pro XLR output to RCA wiring

1 outer, 2 inner. Although you should use the TS outputs instead.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

1 outer, 2 inner. Although you should use the TS outputs instead.

Many thanks - is there a particular advantage to using TS over XLR when unbalanced?

In most units yes, but in the ADI-2 Pro the difference is just convenience. TS to RCA adapters and cables are easily available, you don't need to solder.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

In most units yes, but in the ADI-2 Pro the difference is just convenience. TS to RCA adapters and cables are easily available, you don't need to solder.

So I wouldn’t notice a difference in sound quality between TS and XLR with the RME? 

I actually already have some XLR cables (just wired incorrectly for the RME) and happy with soldering

Jas0_0 wrote:
MC wrote:

So I wouldn’t notice a difference in sound quality between TS and XLR with the RME?

You got already an answer ...

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:

You got already an answer ...

Thanks Ramses, yes I suppose I did...  I guess I just wanted to clarify whether the 'no difference' was in terms of sound quality.  On reflection, what else would it have been?!