Topic: Fireface UC - Mac Mini (late 2018)

Please excuse my post if this topic has been addressed before.

I am running an iMac (2017 5k) model with a Fireface UC, Ableton and a tonne of external gear plus lots of VST's. It runs very stable but slow. I think the sluggish performance is due to the average speed of my Fusion Drive. I'm looking to upgrade my iMac to one of the latest Mac Mini's from late 2018 with an SSD.

I have heard via a few people of very average results with the new Mac Mini's and the RME USB models which is remedied via a Thunderbolt Hub or something? 

Can someone shed some light on this problem / topic please?

Would you upgrade to the Mac Mini in combination with the UC or would you go an entirely different route?

Thanks for any input.

Re: Fireface UC - Mac Mini (late 2018)

Hello,

I bought a MacMini late 2018, 64go Ram. I use a RME fireface Uc. The first time I've installed the driver, my MacMini has crashed... no explanation. I contacted RME, they sent me the link for the actual driver. I have reinstalled Mojave and downloaded the driver for the second time. The computer has worked two weeks, but last week, the mouse and keyboard were frozen, and my Cubase session has some serious issues when when I was playing sessions. I've sent back the MacMini to Apple Store, they did a 48 hours test on it, no issue. I've read that all new Mac 2018 had serious issues with USB2 Interfaces. I don't knwo what to do, cause It seems that I am the only one who has problems with MacMini late 2018 and RME UC.

What's the exact Mac OS version you have installed here?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Jerome, with full respect you seem to be one of many with this problem. The fault is the T2 motherboard installed in all newer Mac Mini's. The solution I have read is fairly straight forward. You need to buy a Thunderbolt to USB powered hub. Apparently USB2 audio interfaces do not function directly connected to your device via the USB A port. I personally believe Apple should bear the cost of such a device but Apple being Apple they will screw you. Sorry.

10.14.4 seems to fix these issues, which is why I asked.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME