Topic: UCX + Mackie Controller - works both with and without TotalMix?

Hello, sorry if this has been answered elsewhere, I've gotten bogged down in so many wandering and ancient threads on this subject.

What I'd like is a physical control surface to mix my UCX, both with and without TotalMix running, while it is connected to my host computer or not. If I use a standard Mackie-Control compatible surface with a DIN MIDI port, can I use it connected directly to my UCX for controlling everything TotalMix can, while it's serving as the audio interface to my Mac, whether or not TotalMix FX is running (for visual feedback or just because I use it too)?

I'm just confused on the difference between the MIDI-only standalone use cases and the Mackie-compatible TotalMix FX integration, I suppose.

Bonus question: Will any of these solutions set the value of motorized faders to the current input/output values when choosing a different output of focus? E.g. if I switch between focusing on the Main outs to ADAT 1-2 OUT, will the UCX send the current channel values for the input and software playback feeds to this output so I can see at a glance what the current mix looks like?