1 (edited by Bellzemos 2019-02-17 19:06:26)

Topic: Migrated to new computer and I have problems

Hello!

I have a RME Babyface USB audio interface and have been using it on a Windows 7 computer for 8 years.

Now I have a brand new Windows 10 computer and I connected and installed Babyface to it. I have a problem with TotalMix FX though.

I have updated it to the latest version and noticed that it now has a "DAW mode". Since I don't need any special routing I re-set it to that and now I can't seem to fix it so that it would do what I want it to.

Which is simply that. I need RME Babyface to play my Windows sounds (incl. MP3, Youtube, movies, games etc.) and be able to record (mic inputs and the guitar input).

On my old system I had Analog (3+4) set as my default sound device in Windows and I was able to record and listen to my speakers or headphones by simple changes in TotalMix FX. Now I've managed to get my headphones and speakers to work, but am unable to record (mic or guitar). My speakers are connected via XLR out at the breakout cable, my headphones via headphone-in on the side of my Babyface and my guitar-in on the side of the Babyface to. I connect mics to the XLR in at the breakout cable.

Here is a photo of how things are set. What should I do to get it all to work like before? For example, Amplitube 3 offers me only 3 and 4 outs... But when I changed the default windows soudn device to 3+4 things still didn't work.

The main problem is I can't get analog 1+2 to record, I can see signal in TotalMix FX, the volume indicator jumps up when I strike the strings on the guitar but I get no sound in my DAW, plugins or standalone plugins...

Please help me.

https://i.imgur.com/k5sUUuP.png

Re: Migrated to new computer and I have problems

Why don't you set it back to submix mode if that worjed for you in the past?

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

TM FX in DAW mode should not prevent recording at all. When you click on the tab Recording, are the input channels visible there and show a signal via the small level meters?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

First I tried all this:

When I click on the tab Recording in the Widnows Sound settings window, yes, I can see Analog (1+2) Babyface and the small level meter goes up when I touch the guitar cable. I can also see movement of volume meters in my DAW.

But there's silence. I think this is an output problem, not input. And I'm trying everything on TM FX Assing button as Main Out, AN, AS, PH, no sound through my speakers. I think I'm so close to figuring it out but I'm unable to, it's nuts.

On my old PC I had Analog (3+4) set as the Windows default playback, not Speakers. So I've set it like that now but I get nothing out of my speakers (which are connected to Babyface XLR outs). What else should I try?

---

Then I did this:

I went back to the default mode and was able to make it all work. I went to DAW mode because I tought I don't need all the routing. Seems I can't really do witout it haha.

Thank you both.

I have a problem also. I used Fireface 800 for as long as I can remember. I'm a successful composer and just bought a brand new Mac Book Pro which I've just managed to get going after buying a dozen adaptors. I've never had to use Total Mix...the signal went into the Fireface and straight into the computer via Firewire 800 and I've been happy for years. I do not want or need a software mixer or any other routing options.Please excuse any ignorance about Total Mix but I can see the input signal on the Total Mix channel but it doesn't show up on Logic. How can I get it from Total Mix (which I find baffling) into Logic?

No total mix needed for recording. The fact that you have input signal visible is all you need to know You just have to select the correct audio inputs in logic (or audio setup). And maybe jump through some hoops to allow microphone input, but that is apples way of protecting you :-(

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632