Topic: Two RMEs First Time

I'm thinking of getting the RME Digiface to expand my digital i/o.

Right now I'm just running one HDSP 9632. I would run both at once.

Is there anything I should know ahead of time before attempting this setup? Will it work well? Are there other RME products that would work well for expanding my digital inputs?

Will a word clock be necessary?

Thanks!

2 (edited by vinark 2019-04-11 09:32:43)

Re: Two RMEs First Time

It has to be the old hdsp digiface to be one driver on windows. A hdsp9652 or raydat will also work for this. I would prefer a hdsp9652 (or raydat) because the digiface does not need a hdsp card which are very hard to get. You can sync a hdsp9652 internally to the 9632 with a small cable. The cards do need to be synced. I just bought a second hand hdsp9652 for €130. They can be had quit cheap because PCI slots are almost gone.
If you need more help, do specify your computer and your intended use. If you use it for more digital connections, be aware that all sources must be in sync.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

3 (edited by whiteletter 2019-04-11 10:08:37)

Thanks for the help, I appreciate your knowledge!

I am glad I asked it looks like there is more to this than I realized. I'm running a W10 i8086k machine, with a single PCI slot filled by the HDSP 9632. I have some free PCI-E slots.

There is such a thing as a PCI-E to PCI slot adapter, which a fellow actually reviewed and said saved his HDSP 9632, worked great he said, which surprised me. I would normally prefer not to take the chance of such a thing working reliably but it certainly could be worth a try to save a couple hundred.

I'd like to get 3-4 more SPDIF optical digital inputs for my machine for use with rack hardware.

Would it be an issue having the newer Digiface using a separate driver?

That depends on your usage. A daw using an asio driver can only use one driver at a time, so will only see one of the 2 if it are different drivers.
In your case a raydat in a PCIe slot would be easiest since it uses the same driver as the 9632.
And yes you can use a PCIe to PCI converter, but not all brands are equally good.I remember reading the startech is good, but it is not the cheapest.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

Revisiting this thread, I am thinking of buying a second HDSP 9632, and so running two of these in the same system. The idea would be to increase my audio and MIDI i/o, if they would work at the same time.

Is that possible?

I.e. would my DAW see the additional MIDI i/o and audio i/o options?

I recall reading on this thread that I should sync the two with a small cable? What cable would I need for this? Would it be for the white connector on the interior of the card?

Thanks fellows.

That's all answered in the 9632 manual.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME