1 (edited by Gregsen 2019-06-12 06:23:50)

Topic: RME FireFace 400 on Mac Mini 2018 - Analog Input Gain Bug

Hi guys,

In the latest RME FF400 drivers version available (3.36), all 4 Analog Input Gains set in the FireFace Settings App would jump to the maximum every time I turn the unit on (using the external power supply, of course). Also, when setting all 4 Gains back to 0dB, as soon as the last one is being set to 0dB, they all jump back immediately to +10dB or so.

I've connected the unit via Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 & Thunderbolt 2 to FireWire 800 adapter, using a FireWire 800 to 400 cable.

This does NOT happen in Version 3.33, which I fortunately had lying around somewhere still (as I didn't see it being available from the Website anymore). Actually, Version 3.33 works perfectly fine all around - However, Mac OS has warned me that it's an outdated version that might stop working soon (presumably, when OS Catalina hits).

Just wanted to check in whether you are aware of this bug with the FF400 and the Mac Mini 2018, and whether you're planning to release an updated driver version with a fix? Otherwise, can I expect Version 3.33 to stay functional going forward?

Re: RME FireFace 400 on Mac Mini 2018 - Analog Input Gain Bug

It doesn't happen to me in version 3.35 or 3.36. The FF400 input gains are found in Audio MIDI Setup, Audio Devices, Fireface 400, Input. These controls are exposed to the system and are changed by DAWs and other software. None of the code related to this has changed in years. You should reinstall 3.36, open this window together with the Settings dialog and check what happens when you start what software.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME