Topic: Fireface UC - Worrisome incident

Hi!
I just had something strange happening with my Fireface UC, and I don't understand what went on... (Sorry for the long read !)
I was experimenting with some nasty feedback set up. I play noise music, and I've been working on feedback loops for a while, I guess I often wire things in an "inappropriate" way, but up to now i've been lucky enough not to destroy any of my gear. Anyway, things were set up this way : I had an electric guitar pick up on input 1 and a piezo pick up on input 3. My output speaker was (intentionally) feeding back into the piezo speaker. The whole sound was processed with a program (Pure Data). Suddenly, as I was cranking everything up to 11, the sound stopped, and in Total Mix every single VU meter went red. The software (Pure Data) apparently wasn't bugging. I switched off the Fireface, and when I switched it on again it went doing weird things, displaying various things fastly on the front panel. Switched off again, and then impossible to switch on. At this stage I was thinking the sound card was fried.
Now here is the strangest thing. A few months back the original power adapter stopped working, and I found the "official" replacement was strongly overpriced, so I used a standard 12v adapter, with no noticeable difference. After today's incident I tried an other 12v adapter, and everything worked fine again, the Fireface was back to normal. I checked the first adapter (the one with which things went wrong) with some other stuff, and it seems to work fine. I obviously won't try it again with my sound card.
So I'm a bit clueless, I'm thinking all this might be related to the power supply, but it also really looked like it was caused by my feedback loop... Any ideas?
Thanks!