Topic: Standalone MIDI - again, FW 800

hi,

I searched but that doesn't get me "there".

"I have a Fireface 800, which is serving me nicely for the last 10 years." me too, it's even 15 years.
Connected an Arturia beatstep mini to control volume. Works great, settings in FW are MIDI enabled and set to Fireface MIDI in, controller not connected to computer at all but only MIDI out to FW - and it works just fine!

Standalone MIDI is enabled, but as soon as I switch off the computer, no more reaction. From all that I read this is supposed to work, right? Latest FW firmware and totalmix. Also tried the same with BFC 2000, same result: works just fine but only while computer is on. Thanks for any enlightning!

2 (edited by ramses 2019-09-28 21:30:38)

Re: Standalone MIDI - again, FW 800

Did you check chapter 28.8 of the FF800 manual already ?
This chapter is about Standalone MIDI control

28.8 Stand-Alone MIDI Control
When not connected to a computer, the Fireface 800 can be controlled directly via MIDI. To
unlock the special stand-alone MIDI control mode first activate MIDI control in TotalMix (Enable
MIDI control), then transfer this state via Flash current mixer state into the unit. Turning this
mode off is done in the same way, but with MIDI control deactivated.

Note: When not needed the stand-alone MIDI operation should not be active, as the unit will
react on MIDI notes after power-on, and will also send MIDI notes.
Control is performed via both the Mackie Control protocol and some standard MIDI functions
(see below). In stand-alone mode not all functions known from TotalMix are available, because
some of them aren't hardware, but software routines. Functions like Talkback, DIM, Mono, Solo,
relative ganging of the faders, Monitor Main and Monitor Phones are realized by complex software
code, therefore not available in stand-alone MIDI control operation.
Still many functions, and especially the most important functions to control the Fireface 800, are
implemented in hardware, thus available also in stand-alone mode:
• All faders and pans of the first and third row
• Mute of the input signal per channel
• Ganging via 'Select'
• Choice of the routing destination, i.e. the current submix
• Sending of LED and display data to the MIDI controller
The second row (software playback) is skipped in stand-alone operation.
The Fireface 800 sends display data as brief information, enabling an easy navigation through
lines and rows. Other data like PAN and miscellaneous status LEDs are supported as well.
In stand-alone mode the unit always operates in View Submix mode. Only this way the routing
destination can be changed, and several mixdowns/submixes can be set up quickly and easily.
If the current TotalMix setup is transferred into the Fireface via 'Flash current mixer state', the
currently selected submix output is also pre-configured in the hardware for stand-alone MIDI
remote operation. [...]

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13