Topic: iPad -> wireless -> ADI-2 DAC

Hey guys.
I’m owning ADI-2 DAC. It is absolutely amazing, and honestly it’s my best experience.

I want to get rid of that “iPad Camera connection kit” cable.
Looking for wireless solution to send audio from my iPad to ADI-2 DAC in simplest way.
Please give me any advice, I hope some of you already solved this. Cheers!

2 (edited by ning 2019-08-31 16:30:03)

Re: iPad -> wireless -> ADI-2 DAC

Get a Raspberry Pi 4.

iPad -> wifi -> RPi4 -> USB -> any USB DAC.

any audio streaming software that support both (RPi & iPad) works. for instance, you can use AirPlay, or Roon.

There are other audio streamers that output USB/TOSLINK/COAX might work, but they will be more expensive than an RPi.

Also with RPi and MPD installed, you can move the entire music collection to RPi, and use your iPad as a remote controller.
Playing music no longer throttle the network, and audio quality will be better because they are not compressed.

ning wrote:

Get a Raspberry Pi 4.
iPad -> wifi -> RPi4 -> USB -> any USB DAC.

Ning, thanks for reply. This solution might be too complex for me.

My best idea is find some hardware bridge that will work exactly like a USB cable, but wireless.
“USB (lightning) -> wireless -> USB”

The issue is about finding proper hw bridge. My iPad works with ADI-2 through “iPad camera connection kit” but when I connected it by plain lightning-USB adapter, it didn’t work.
So I afraid to get similar problem with wireless USB-USB adapter.

I agree with ning about getting a raspberry pi. 

As ning suggests, all you need to do is plug the raspberry pi into the RME via a usb cable.  Then connect the raspberry pi to your home network via wireless.  Then connect your iPad to the Pi wirelessly via AirPlay. 

Allows you to stream any audio from your iPad to RME without cables.  And costs less than £100.

5 (edited by willem 2019-09-01 14:24:50)

What do you want to use the IPad for? As a remote control for casting Spotify streams etc, or to send music stored on the IPad?

RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Quad 606-2 power amp, Quad 2805 speakers, B&W PV1d sub with Antimode 8033 Cinema

willem wrote:

What do you want to use the IPad for?

I use it to listen to music (by YouTube or Spotify). iPad is connected to ADI-2 DAC by USB cable, I only want to get rid of this cable -:)

Then all you need is a Chromecast Audio.

RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Quad 606-2 power amp, Quad 2805 speakers, B&W PV1d sub with Antimode 8033 Cinema

willem, if optical-digital output of chrome cast audio is compatible with optical input of ADI-2 DAC than it’s BINGO!
have you already tried that or it should work in theory? :]

It is what I use myself and it works a treat.

Solved. Willem, thank you so much!

The CCA has officially been discontinued but with a bit of looking around you will find one. The optical output uses a mini connector in the same slot as the mini analogue connector, so do not be surprised.

Second hand Apple airport express.