Topic: Fireface 400 with new machines (mac or pc)

Hello There

This is my first post of this forum. Hello there and thanks in advance for any help.

I have a mid 2012 MBP with the usual upgrades (ram+sdd). I using mini display port to connect with monitor. I have a Fireface 400. It works great but my computer has started to slow down and basically die so I need a new laptop.

I see that the new machines dont have firewire and the best i can get is a machine with thunderbolt to be able to use a thunderbolt to firewire adapter. So in this instance I been told you would have to use a power supply to power the soundcard because there wouldnt be enough voltage. that wouldnt be too much of an issue, at least it is one problem solved???

The other problem is whether it is even a possiblity to use a fireface 400 with the new machines in terms of drivers. With mac or windows....

I would seriously appreciatte any insight into this because i am in an emergency and havnt much money to just replace computer and soundcard. I would love if any can give me some light in regardss to working out how i can use my old and loved fireface 400 with new thunderbolt compatible laptops. I really hope so or im screwed.

Thanks so much

Daniel

Re: Fireface 400 with new machines (mac or pc)

Drivers are fine on Mojave.

As for a USB-C to FW adapter, the Apple ones seem the most reliable choice. You'll need a USB-C to TB adapter and a TB to FW adapter.

And a PSU, of course.

MB Pro - 2 X FireFace 400, FF800 & DigiFace USB
ADAT gear: Korg, Behri, Fostex, Alesis...