Topic: Setup for cross-over to sub

Hello

I have a sub plus 2 main speakers.

I was wishing to simulate a cross-over under the constraint only 3 filters below 200hz.

If I enable Bass control say with the shelf crossover at 80hz, and also enable sub cross-over shelf at 80hz, is this a way to in essence get a 4th filter in the 20-200 range?  If this is acceptable, and if the sub shelf filter is 24db/octave, can you suggest the appropriate Q factor for the bass shelf filter?  Any other considerations?

I have a calibrated mic plus REW software.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Setup for cross-over to sub

If this to create a high pass filter for the main speakers?

RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Quad 606-2 power amp, Quad 2805 speakers, B&W PV1d sub with Antimode 8033 Cinema

3 (edited by tony@smartcommunity.ca 2019-09-04 17:40:49)

Re: Setup for cross-over to sub

Because the ADI-2 DAC does not have 2 DACs, then you cannot set up a low pass for the sub on one DAC, and then a high pass for the mains= on the other. So trying to "fudge" the same effect.

The first question is: do the bass and treble filters act in essence as 6th and 7th EQ shelf filters, and be used in combination with the other 5 EQ filters?

If so, then my thought is to turn on bass filter (low pass shelf) for say -5dB at 80hz (Q value is a question I have)
Then on the sub-woofer, set cross-over at 80hz, and turn up volume at sub +5dB to compensate for the -5dB bass filter.

There is plenty of headroom on the sub to be able to do that.

Is this a viable solution to maintain audio quality?

Cheers