1 (edited by Morgueritual 2019-09-26 09:07:00)

Topic: Need help running hardware with UFX2. Answer cant be found anywhere

Hey guys. Thanks for all the help so far. You guys have been very helpful. I appreciate  all the help. Especially Ramses.

I have done away with my patchbay and I have connected all of my hardware units directly to the I/O of my Ferrofish pulse 16 (via ADAT using the UFX 2. I have renamed all the corresponding ADAT channels as the hardware (distressor, Pultec, 160a etc etc).

My question is as follows:
Since I have only 1 hardware unit per each in and out how do I run a signal through two hardware units (in series) in totalfx?
For instance, Interface> Pultec> Interface> Distressor> back into the interface.

The only way to do this otherwise would be to keep them linked via cable permanently. From what Im seeing online totalfx can route anything to anything in any combination. Does this include what Im trying to do???

2 (edited by ramses 2019-09-26 17:38:53)

Re: Need help running hardware with UFX2. Answer cant be found anywhere

I think you have 2 possibilities

1. connect each external device on its own to the Pulse 16.
    Then you can connect up to
    - 8 (stereo) devices @44.1/48 or
    - 4 (stereo) devices @882/96
2. connect a chain of devices to the Pulse 16
    - to get a mastering chain A, consisting i.e. out of 2 devices in series
    - to get a mastering chain B, consisting i.e. out of 4 other devices in series

The difference is how high round trip latencies would pile up.

Lets assume you choose option 1 to connect each external device single.
Now you have the possibility to create up to 8 inserts (of external devices) on a track.
The signal flow would be for every Insert:
DAW-Insert1-> >USB->UFX II->ADAT->Pulse16 Out->Ext Dev1-> Pulse16 In -> ADAT -> UFX II -> USB -> DAW
DAW-Insert2-> >USB->UFX II->ADAT->Pulse16 Out->Ext Dev2-> Pulse16 In -> ADAT -> UFX II -> USB -> DAW
[...]
[...]
and each of the RTLs would be piled up.
As you have
Tracl -> Insert 1 (ext Dev 1) -> Insert 2 (ext Dev 2 -> ..... -> UFX II -> Monitor or Phones ....

If you chan devices you have not so much flexibility but lower latency.

In a video with a Steinberg Interface (which have not so efficient ASIO driver) 1 external device created a latency of 55ms if I remember right.

Even if it would only be 10ms with RME .. 8 inserts single / not chained would be 80ms.

I have no practical experience, but I think this is the way it would go ...

Try it out !

Cubase btw uses a real "ping" and mesaure the latency.
So maybe get a Demo Version of Cubase and compare latencies .... chained, not chained, etc ...
Some device might have a latency of its own ....

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thanks again brother. I have been using Reaper for a long time and Im very familiar with it. I tried Cubase and It was very hard for me to grasp for some reason and I didnt feel like learning another DAW all over again. Maybe I will give Elements another try. I like Reaper because its VERY powerful and literally does everything. Its very customization too.

As for the routing issue. So you are saying latency would be a problem if I try to connect two hardware units together (Not hardwired in series but in anmd out of the converter twice (4 conversions). So basically to get the best performace I have to hardwire them in seried in the back of my rack and keep them that way. I can actually deal with only being able to use one piece of hardware per track. Im fine with that. I can always stack a plugin on top of the hardware.

What you are saying makes sense.
So you think Cubase has a better insert plugin than reaper huh? That wouldnt surprise me. To be honest it seems the insert plugin in Reaper is one of the only things lacking.

I have come to the realization tonight that Im returning this interface and going back to motu.. This total mix software sucks. Its such a pain in the ass and the way its set up is absurd. Its way too hard for a guy like myself with dyslexia to figure out..

Sad to hear.
Last attempt.
There is a mode in TM FX for people who do not like routing in TM FX.
Its called DAW mode.
When activating it, then you can completely route with your DAW.
Then you have only inputs and outputs, nothing more, no routing in TM FX.
Please try.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13