Topic: Multiple Firefaces

Hey Folks,

some interfaces (from other vendors) can be used with annother Interface (of the same kind/with the same driver). Is this possible with the Fireface-series too? Sure: Total Mix only works within ONE interface, but I need more Inputs in my DAWs, might this be an option?

Regards
Florian

2 (edited by ramses 2019-09-29 11:02:00)

Re: Multiple Firefaces

Yes sure, the manual contains information how many interfaces are supported by the driver.

You can control routing of each interface individually either by selecting the device in the upped right
or by opening TM FX instances per device as you like.

Limitation: you can only route channels inside of one hw/interface, not across recording interfaces.

The devices need to become clock synchronized and you need to take care yourself in the driver settings dialog,
that all interfaces use the same ASIO buffersize.

I have for example successfully used 2 UFX+ and an ADI-2 Pro at the same time.
ADI-2 Pro was connected behind the main UFX+.
The other UFX+ was for standalone operation inside of my guitar rack as mobile solution.
I connected it also to my PC to have better control about routing, if I had new ideas for new features.

Some RME drivers might support 2, some might support up to three interfaces, see manual.

Which interfaces are you interested in ? Maybe we can help ?

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

3 (edited by ramses 2019-09-29 11:03:42)

BTW .. if you choose interfaces which use the same driver, then the DAW can directly access all at once !

You can even use the ARC USB .. but you need to decide for which interface you want to use it, usually there is something like a main interface with monitors and phones connected to it. For the other interfaces you need to deactivate ARC USB. This is easily possible to setup in TM FX.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:

BTW .. if you choose interfaces which use the same driver, then the DAW can directly access all at once !

That answers my question!
All Fireface-Interfaces can be used together, right? But: HDSP and Fireface is not mixable, right?

Cheers

Florian

More conveniant and easier to use and scale in terms of
- number of channels
- being able to route all channels
would be to consider a MADI based setup, as one MADI bus supports up to 64 channels @44.1/48.

6 (edited by ramses 2019-09-29 11:14:22)

tonkutsche wrote:
ramses wrote:

That answers my question!
All Fireface-Interfaces can be used together, right? But: HDSP and Fireface is not mixable, right?

Cheers

Florian

The interfaces need to use the same ASIO driver and you will probably loose digital I/O ports if not all devices have WC.
Then you need to connect interfaces with each other per ADAT or SPDIF only to get clock sync going ...

RME has several drivers .. you need to look closely.

Not all fireface interfaces use the same USB driver.

The best would be if you describe your demand and max budget, then either me or somebody else can support you in terms of finding a proper solution for you.

This is very interesting.

We have 2 UFX, is this as simple as using 2 USB ports, WC connecting the UFXs?

How would monitoring work?

BTW, we're using Samplitude.

Thanks!

You can do that, but you can not route ports across the interfaces with TotalMix.
But you could route in the DAW ....
You can also disable TotalMix FX entirely and do everything in the DAW (DAW mode).

So Samplitude would see both UFXs' inputs and outputs?

Then one could select an output in Sam to monitor all inputs across both UFXs?

This would be very nice, 56 channel recording with the gear we already have.

Thanks for helping!