Topic: RE802 High Pitched Metallic Grating

After owning my Re802 for a little under two months, I've noticed a reoccurring issue when tracking guitars with my Ax-Fx. Below I've provided a clip of an Animals As Leaders song, that exemplifies the aforementioned issue with a single tracked guitar panned to the center. My setup consists of running the 802 via FireWire 800, set to internal, and my Ax-Fx II XL+ main input source/word clock set to AES, which is being synced through Mogami AES cables at 48khz. I'm using the front Mic/Line Input 9, a Mogami instrument cable, with the INST switch toggled within TotalMix. When tracking guitars, there is a high end metallic grating quality when performing open palm mutes, and then muting with the left hand. I pick on the more aggressive side for context. This results in a squealing that completely undermines my tracking process, and overall renders the likelihood of getting a considerably clean take impossible. My technique is solid to where this only occurs within my current signal flow. I've concluded three possibilities: tweeter squealing, a microphonic pickup interaction, or a faulty preamp. This occurs on all of my guitars, with differing pickup heights, and each with a different set of Bare Knuckle pickups. The amp settings on my patch in the clip below consist of the gain on the Fractal at a 1, and no additional gain from the 802, as that further exaggerates the harsh high end frequencies. The Fractal also has no clipping occurring on the input gain staging. The only processing within this clip is an EQ for the purpose of a high and low pass filter, and then a limiter on a separate bus, in order to present a commercial volume to showcase the issue with.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WG7D_h … sp=sharing

Re: RE802 High Pitched Metallic Grating

Your text is difficult to read, can you pls use return key to break it up in paragraphs, thanks.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

You use an INST input when you have a FX/Amp as source. This might be simple overload. Did you try a Line input instead?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I believe that has solved it! I plugged into the back line input, routed that to my AES channel within TotalMix, and suddenly the squeals/metallic grating have stopped, my high end has become much more balanced and beautiful, and I can get the takes I want to now. Thank you guys for the expedient response, and the simple solution haha! I'll remember to utilize the front XLR/TS when tracking DI's, but for now I'm committing from the start for amp tones.

My last question is after turning up the INST IN on the Fractal to 100%, and switching the settings of the AN 1 channel to +4dbu, I'm peaking at about -22db, is this a nominal level for this type of signal? I'm just touching the orange LED on the Fractal, and was wondering if their is a way to increase the gain within the given parameters of TotalMix, in order to just be right before clipping the red.

Thanks Again!

-22 sounds too low. Try -10 dBV on the 802. Even better, use a balanced cable (XLR to TRS).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I utilized the -10dBV level, which isn't explicitly listed on my level references within Totalmix version 1.61, but I believe is synonymous with +4dBu, then cranked the gain knob to 12, and was getting around -9-8db, which sounded saturated appropriately, without being over bearing and losing clarity with the current amp gain setting on the Fractal.

I shall look into employing a balanced cable in the future. If it's a XLR to TRS connection, the TRS would be going into the guitar input, but what input would the male XLR be going into the 802?

XLR output of the Fractal into rear input TRS of 802.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I had tried that method previously, that would entail going straight into the front INST line in of the Fractal from my guitar, connecting to the re802 as mentioned (XLR out of the Fractal,  to the rear in of the Re802 via balanced xlr to trs cables), and then still integrating the AES connection I would suppose, otherwise I wouldn't have a proper sync. The connection of output via analog would be comprising of a better signal from this method correct?