Topic: how to use a RME multiface when I do no longer have the PCI or PCIe

Hi, Can I use the RME multiface as a standalone mixer? For example, can I input 4 mic tracks for a drum set and mix this to one output of my RME? And then take this one input into my BabyFace Pro? How would I actually balance and mix the 4 mics on the multiface? with headphone out I presume? Are there other uses for the RME multiface when I lost my PCI card (some threw it out because they thought it was an old desktop)? Last, are there resellers you can suggest that may actually have PCIe for sale? eBay has one or two but one is an old revision, 1.3. Mine was 1.7 revision. Thank you.

2 (edited by ramses 2019-10-12 15:47:01)

Re: how to use a RME multiface when I do no longer have the PCI or PCIe

You functional questions are being answered in the manual.

Standalone operation is possible by so called "disconnect mode" as long as the device is powered on by external power supply. But it will definitvely loose settings when power cycling it because it has no memory.

So .. sorry, this card supports no stand-alone operation fully independend from the connection to a PC.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

3 (edited by ramses 2019-10-12 15:50:31)

The revision numbers are per board.
So v 1.7 of an older PCI board is not better that revision 1.3 of a newer PCIe design.
It can even be the case, that it doesn't matter which revision of PCIe card you take, if there are no real issues and if the current drivers handles all hardware revisions correctly (no matter what the difference actually is).

Maybe RME can give you a tip whether every PCIe card revision is free of issues.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

thanks.