1 (edited by schabbes 2019-10-13 06:44:21)

Topic: HDSPe card is not recognized by new system

Hi there!

I have a HDSPe PCI Express card that is a few years old and connects to a Multiface II.
In my old PC with Windows 7 everything went great (, In between I got a ExpressCard for my Laptop and used the Multiface II with that for a while).
Now I wanted to run the PCIe card in a new Desktop PC with Windows 10, but it doesn't show up anywhere.
I tried the two different available PCIe slots, installed windows again without the card in a slot, put on the driver first.... nothing... the red LED on the Multiface II lights up, other than that no reaction anywhere, nothing int the Device Manager and not even Totalmix shows up when I install the drivers, which would even be on my laptop if I had no ExpressCard in it at all.

So is it The HDSPe PCI Express card, could it have died in the 4 years or so of not having been used?
Is it the new X570 Motherboard, which handles PCIe different?
Or is it Windows 10? And is it a known phenomenon?

I will see if I can test the HDSPe in a different computer, the old ones harddrives have died, so I can not test it there again... Is it better to have the Multiface II connected on startup or better to first try with the card only?

2 (edited by ramses 2019-11-01 13:26:14)

Re: HDSPe card is not recognized by new system

In other threads I read that the contacts might need to be cleaned very carefully.

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=29457

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:

In other threads I read that the contacts might need to be cleaned very carefully.

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=29457

But not too careful, if this is the cause, then it needs some thorough cleaning, scraping of a layer of oxidation I guess and it needs to be a pencil eraser gum, not a cloth or something else, that did not help. So I had to buy one ;-).

But does the card appear as an unrecognised device, or with an exclamation mark or not at all in device manager.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

Hi! Thanks for replying!

The card doesn't appear at all, not even in the List of all devices in the BIOS, and also not in the Windows Device Manager.

I could try to clean the contacts, but thex didn't seem dirty or corrodet, after all the card was just sitting in an unused pc for a few years... but will have another look.

5 (edited by schabbes 2019-11-04 12:23:36)

I have now rubbed the contacts with a pencil eraser gum - nothing changed, they seemed quite clean already, no visible dirt or oxidation.

schabbes wrote:

I have now rubbed the contacts with a pencil eraser gum - nothing changed, they seemed quite clean already, no visible dirt or oxidation.

When this happened to me it was invisible too and also it happened in a working system, just first somewhat unstable, then crashing, then completely gone. After thorough cleaning it worked 100% again.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

I have a HP Z240 Workstation with Windows 10 Pro, in Standard Bios Configuration RME AIO was  not recognized.
I changed the Bios Settings for PCIe Bus
Early PCIe delay from disable to enable
PCIe Slot System from Auto to Gen1
Save and Reboot
AIO Card was recognized and works fine :-)

Thanks for the useful information!

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

9 (edited by schabbes 2019-11-11 00:25:34)

@ch.hohler Thank You for your answer.
I couldn't find anything about an Early PCIe delay in the BIOS or on the Motherboard (Aorus Elite x570).
I have tried setting the PCIe slot system to Gen1 (that option is available), but sadly this didn't have any effect.

I also can't find much by googling... it seems there are some PCIe cards that are not recognized or work faulty in similar systems (x570 board, 3rd gen Ryzen processor).
I really hope there is a solution for this, since I came to love the RME sound and really hope to keep it, but can't afford to buy a fireface or similar soundcard now.

What revision number is printed on your HDSPe PCI card?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

It's Rev 1.2

schabbes wrote:

@ch.hohler Thank You for your answer.
I couldn't find anything about an Early PCIe delay in the BIOS or on the Motherboard (Aorus Elite x570).
I have tried setting the PCIe slot system to Gen1 (that option is available), but sadly this didn't have any effect.

Sorry my System is from Hewlett Packard, other Bios-Settings.
You have the current BIOS update and also the chipset driver loaded?
Chipset [19.10.16]

schabbes wrote:

It's Rev 1.2

Missed that post, sorry. 1.2 is up-to-date (so to say) and has no known issues. If it has the current (means ancient...) firmware it should work. Of course the card could be defective - did you try it in a different computer as you wrote in your first post?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi again!

It took me ages, but I have tested the card in a different system now and it is recognized there, so it has to be a problem with the motherboard.
I was getting my hopes up a bit when I saw a BIOS update which stated "improved PCIe compatibility," but it is still not recognized on my system after the update.

I guess I should go to the Aorus forum and post my problem there, now that I know that the card is still intact.

Thanks for your responses so far and all the best and good health and all that!

X570 works under PCI-E Gen 4.0

Set your Motherboard to work at PCI-E Gen 3.0

And plug it to the Second PCI-E slot from top

Not to the x1 / x4 slots as that first and second slots connects directly to CPU and the others are driven by chipset

schabbes wrote:

Hi there!

I have a HDSPe PCI Express card that is a few years old and connects to a Multiface II.
In my old PC with Windows 7 everything went great (, In between I got a ExpressCard for my Laptop and used the Multiface II with that for a while).
Now I wanted to run the PCIe card in a new Desktop PC with Windows 10, but it doesn't show up anywhere.
I tried the two different available PCIe slots, installed windows again without the card in a slot, put on the driver first.... nothing... the red LED on the Multiface II lights up, other than that no reaction anywhere, nothing int the Device Manager and not even Totalmix shows up when I install the drivers, which would even be on my laptop if I had no ExpressCard in it at all.

So is it The HDSPe PCI Express card, could it have died in the 4 years or so of not having been used?
Is it the new X570 Motherboard, which handles PCIe different?
Or is it Windows 10? And is it a known phenomenon?

I will see if I can test the HDSPe in a different computer, the old ones harddrives have died, so I can not test it there again... Is it better to have the Multiface II connected on startup or better to first try with the card only?

17 (edited by schabbes 2020-03-17 04:14:40)

I cant find an option to turn to PCI-E Gen 3.0 and think this is decided automatically on this motherboard

There are four PCIe slots available:
PCIEX16 (graphics card, runs at Gen 3.0 automatically)
PCIEX4 (empty)
PCIEX1_1 (current location of the HDSPe card)
PCIEX1_2 (already tested, not working either)

I had the card in both of the lower slots and if I remember correctly also in the PCIEX4 slot at one time... maybe I could try the 4th slot again now after the BIOS update...

You mean the 4th slot (PCIEX1_2), right? Or do you mean the PCIEX4? I'm a little confused which slots you are talking about

For testing try to use the GPU in the x4 slot to make room for the HDSPe. The x16 slot is the only slot on your mainboard that is connected to the CPU, all other slots are connected to the chipset. I assume that the BIOS is not fully compatible for the chipset slots yet, because the X570 is the first chipset not coming from Asmedia (but AMD themselves). The same happened with early Ryzen BIOS versions on older boards.

nope... i have tested all four slots again - the computer behaves as if nothing is plugged in.

20 (edited by Timur Born 2020-03-25 09:07:11)

Unless the card is defect this is almost always a BIOS problem, also on Intel based systems.

Hello!

@schabbes

Just a guess, but maybe it's underpowered or overpowered?
Can you check the Express's power consumption needs and set it accordingly in the BIOS?(I think the default power setting is 75Watts)

Otherwise, it must be a compatibility issue, as Timur has mentioned, and you 're gonna have to wait for an update.

RME Gear: Digiface USB, HDSP 9632

The Gigabyte support just suggested to me that the cards PCIe 1.1 protocol wouldn't work with AM4 processors in general. sad

23 (edited by ramses 2020-04-01 14:54:39)

schabbes wrote:

The Gigabyte support just suggested to me that the cards PCIe 1.1 protocol wouldn't work with AM4 processors in general. sad

Strange as higher PCIe releases shall be fully downward compatible.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

24 (edited by Timur Born 2020-04-01 16:25:18)

schabbes wrote:

Then Gigabyte support people don't know what they are talking about. I even ran old RME PCI (non PCIe) cards on an AM4 board (Asus) via PCIe-to-PCI adapter. And of course I also ran PCIe 1.1 RME cards, depending on how BIOS updates made all my PCIe slots compatible that is.

Here is what I wrote about this issue in 2017:

On the RME Audio forum someone wrote that he failed to get his RME AES (proessional PCIe audio card) to be recognized in both an Asus X370 Pro and Asrock Killer board until he used a 16x slot.

I did some testing with various RME cards and threw in a Creative X-Fi and Sonnet SATA (Marvell) card on top of it. Long story short, the various cards get or get not detected/enumerated differently in different slots. The only slot where all cards get detected is the middle 16x(8x) slot that has PCIe lanes connected to the CPU, that is with a NVidia GPU in the top slot.

- The RME Madi FX, Creative X-Fi and Sonnet card seem to work in all slots.

- Two non FX RME Madi cards only work in the CPU 8x slot.

- A RME AIO works in every slot, except for slot 1_3!

I tried two Pericom based PCIe-PCI bridge cards in that slot 3_1 and ran one or two PCI RME HDSP AES via those bridges, both worked.

So there's quite a lot of work ahead of AMD and motherboard manufacturers.

One problem here is that both the X370 and X470 chipsets were Asmedia designs, while the X570 chipset is an AMD design. So while BIOS updates improved compatibility for the Asmedia based chipsets AMD still has to catchup with their own X570 chipset.

And to underline that these issues can get really confusing, here is what I wrote after a BIOS update happened:

PCIe enumeration still doesn't work properly on the C6H. One of my Firewire PCIe cards is TI based (PCI bridge internally) and one LSI based (native PCIe). Both are detected properly and work flawlessly, but when a chipset based PCIe port is used then the LSI based one vanishes from the system after a soft-off shutdown.

Only way to get it back is to switch slots! A simple cold-boot or pull out + put back in does not help.

This doesn't seem to happen in the CPU connected middle x16 PCIe slot.

26 (edited by schabbes 2020-04-01 21:25:50)

Thank you for your answers!

Now I'm totally confused... I was considering switching the motherboard to an x470 one, but if it won't even work reliably there it doesn't seem like a good option.

The gigabyte support doesn't seem to have any idea and says I should contact the manufacturer to get a firmware update for the card.

I guess that RME isn't fully aware of what's going on either. It would be very nice if someone from RME could call someone from AMD and fix this for me. wink
If that's not possible it would be good to know what to look for if I decide to switch the motherboard.

27 (edited by ramses 2020-04-02 12:35:45)

schabbes wrote:

The gigabyte support doesn't seem to have any idea and says I should contact the manufacturer to get a firmware update for the card.

Yep, I do not expect more from them.

schabbes wrote:

I guess that RME isn't fully aware of what's going on either.

And you think you can judge this ? Interesting ..

schabbes wrote:

It would be very nice if someone from RME could call someone from AMD and fix this for me. wink

The recording market is small, I do not think that AMD will spend much time on this, maybe they will fingerpoint back to Gigabyte in terms of BIOS, etc.

TBH ... you should have bought a turnkey system for audio or you should have tested better before buying. There are reasons why such companies exist. Not all hardware / hardware combinations are well suited for audio. I had myself a bad mainboard with higher DPC in the past. This happens one time ...

28 (edited by schabbes 2020-04-08 15:30:27)

Thank you for the answers!

And you think you can judge this ?

I'm just guessing. smile I don't want to blame anyone either, but at least I haven't received any specific answer here. No blame though, the card is ~12 years old, so I can not expect full support.

Ok I will see if I can switch the motherboard.

Is there Anything specific I can look for to make sure it's going to work?

Or is there still some hope to get a new firmware that solves it? Should I make a request somewhere else than in this forum?

29 (edited by schabbes 2020-04-28 14:39:26)

Hey there!

Now... I don't know if you believe me... The card just sat in the same slot for some weeks now, I have changed nothing, but today I looked into the BIOS once egain and suddenly there it was! Then I tried installing the drivers again and this time it succeeded and now it runs!

I have really no idea why... but I am certainly very happy that I have it back now!

Thank you all for your answers and sorry if I bothered you for nothing! I swear I have no idea why this happened.

Good that it works and now think back what Gigabyte told you .. that the cards PCIe 1.1 protocol would not being supported by AM4 processors... As I said, PCIe is designed to be backward compatible and this you can read in Wikipedia. Well maybe Gigabyte support employees are not allowed to browse the internet at work wink

31 (edited by schabbes 2020-04-28 15:38:42)

well... yes... they were wondering what I want with that 20 year old LAN-card anyway smile

to be fair it wasn't their fault neither... no idea what happened here... maybe it needed to get warm? some old capacitor needed to charge up? i have no idea, but i'm certainly happy I have it back now!

32 (edited by Timur Born 2020-05-02 09:03:42)

Going into the BIOS settings might have caused a re-enumeration. Or maybe you cut the power in between (not just soft-off), which in turn causes some BIOS related stuff to reset and re-enumerate, even more so with AMD BIOS.

I should have thought of the latter as a possible suggestion earlier.

Hello, I have an Audiolink 96 Digiset serial #22173553, a HDSP PCI card and audio link 96 Mobile Carbus serial # 22181532. This products are been discontinued long time ago. But I still using them. My computer is windows 7, were I can find the software and drivers for those products. Can you help me with that? thank you very much

Leonel Pedraza

Colombia (South America)

> My computer is windows 7

You sent a mail to support where you wrote 'XP'. Anyway, here is more information:

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 51#p153951

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Today my PCIe card stopped working again.

I changed nothing... it just disappeared from the BIOS again... restarts and cutting power did not suffice to bring it back.

I fear I'll have to replace my Multiface II since I see no option to get a new PCIe card or anything to connect it to - I still have a laptop with the Expresscard and could get a USB Expresscard adapter for my desktop PC, would that work?

they look like this https://www.ebay.de/itm/310346102914?_t … p_homepage

Or could I set up the mixer on the multiface and let it run without being connected to a computer to still use the 8 analog ins over ADAT out?

Maybe I could get a Digiface and use the ins and outs with that?