1 (edited by SD_HG 2019-10-21 12:48:21)

Topic: 5.1 TotalMix LFE EQing

hi,

I'm a little bit unsure, wheather my eq settings for the bass management are correct or not (screenshot), because I couldn't find no support for surround mix in the TotalMix so far.
Especially not sure about the highcut in the LFE (Q settings, 0.7 vs 1 ), the dB/Octave of the lowcut in the satellite speakers (12dB/Octave vs 24).
https://www.bilder-upload.eu/bild-ba3cf … 5.png.html

Re: 5.1 TotalMix LFE EQing

I'm also following the lack of surround/bass-management support in Totalmix FX. I'm actually sending signals full frequency to my speakers and doing the filtering in the speakers. After much testing with sine sweeps I was getting better results this way, but my speakers have fairly decent filtering options built in.

As for the 'correct' bass management crossover arrangement, I've used a variety in the past and when messing around with crossover settings I've really found that if you want to figure it out you have to get a sine sweep and measurement mic to understand what is the best crossover for your room/speakers.

I usually prefer a gentler crossover (e.g. 12dB/oct) as it means less phase nastiness caused the by the filters, but it depends on the capabilities of the speakers. If your satellites are small, you're probably better off using a steeper 24dB crossover so that the sub is doing more of the heavy lifting on the bass.

But don't take my word for it smile

Thank you for your approach.
But...
Why is there no official support for surround setup? There is an older post from 2015 where RME promised that support will come?
https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=21451
I think there are quite a few more people out there, that are mixing for movies or games in surround so this is quite essential!

Agreed, the slow/zero development of better surround support is a little disappointing. Not only that, but it seems like an easy win and a way to differentiate their products from the competition. Resources must be very limited.

It will depend on the speakers, and the best may be to emulate your speaker manufacturer's own subwoofer crossover setting.
Otherwise it looks fine to me. On your screenshot it's not possible to see what you are sending from you DAW's LFE output on the middle row. In a cinema setting the LFE would be calibrated +10dB (as far as I can remember!), so if you're using your subwoofer for both bass management as well as reproducing the LFE channel you'd need to at 10dB to your middle row LFE output (or reduce the bass management sends by 10db)

In general, while it would be brilliant to have dedicated surround support on TotalMix, I don't really mind the situation we have now. It's completely flexible, with all the bussing. I'd be worried with dedicated surround we'd be locked into some set ways to do it.

Set up differ so much. Some use bass management, some don't. I use a hybrid, as ATC recommend their subwoofers to work in addition to the mains, and not filter the mains, etc. If RME do implement surround they'd have to keep it open enough to accommodate a wide variety of surround formats and speaker systems.

I just would like to bring this up again. Surround Sound Support on the Control Room section would be really, really great and shouldn't be that hard to implement. It was originally promised in 2015... Does it happen now, nearly 5 years later?
It would be great.
By the way I love all the latest RME devices. I have the new m32pro, MADIface, DigiFace AVB and I'm going to buy 2 x ADI 2 DAC (as headphone preamps) before christmas... THey all sound fantastic and the driver are great --> Thank you RME