Topic: Need help with RME Raydat and RMe ADi-2 Pro Fs

Hi everyone,

Current I own RME raydat and RMe adi-2 pro fs in my system. I'm having some problems about setting up with these guys. Please help.
1. How can I connect the ADi-2 to the Raydat via ADAT?
2. I'm using ADI-2 as my mic input, but can't find the mic gain in this ADI-2, is there any ways to solve this problem?
3. I've heard about ADI-2 Pro + RayDAT  + ARC USB, can anyone help me explain this process and how can I combine these 3 with ADAT? Thank you very much.

2 (edited by ramses 2019-10-25 05:34:44)

Re: Need help with RME Raydat and RMe ADi-2 Pro Fs

to 1)
- TOSLINK cable (~15m max)
   - from ADI-2 Pro FS to RayDAT for the audio signal
   - from RayDAT to ADI-2 Pro FS to transmit the clock
- Use any of the ADAT ports 1-3 for connecting the ADI-2 Pro FS, leave ADAT4 free for devices which need optical SPDIF.
- Clock settings: RayDAT=master (set to "internal"), ADI-2 Pro FS=slave (get clock from ADAT)

Next thing is to configure a) WDM devices for non-ASIO aware applications and b) routing (quick overview)
a) For non-ASIO aware applications you need to configure a WDM device for ADAT1/2 in the driver settings dialog.
    This output ADAT1/2 you set also as speaker device in the TAB speaker (in the WDM submenue)
    Under Windows Sound settings make this the default audio device.
b) Routing (assuming you choosed ADAT1 IN and OUT port, so ADAT1/2 is your HW output channel)
    Assign ADAT1/2 as "Main Out" so this channel moves to the TM FX control room.
    Set TM FX to "Submix Mode".
    Click to HW Output ADAT1/2 on bottom row, then you see the submix for this output channel:
      Now route all Audio which you need to this HW output (=submix) by raising the faders of
      - HW inputs (top row) and
      - SW playback channels (middle row)
    To get Windows Sound or from Youtube to this submix (towards the ADI-2 Pro):
       raise fader to 0dB on SW playback channel ADAT 1/2 (middle row).
    The output of the DAW I would send to ADAT 3/4 (SW playback channel ADAT 3/4),
       this needs then also to be routed to the submix of HW Output ADAT 1/2 (to your ADI-2 Pro FS).
    If you use an ASIO aware Audio player like MusicBee or foobar2000 you could send this to ADAT 5/6
       this needs then also to be router to the submix of HW output ADAT 1/2 (to your ADI-2 Pro FS).

At the end you will have these 3 SW playback channels (middle row) routed to submix "HW output ADAT 1/2" (bottom)
    - SW Playback ADAT1/2 (middle row) = Windows OS / Youtube, all non-ASIO aware applications
    - SW Playback ADAT3/4 (middle row) = DAW
    - SW Playback ADAT5/6 (middle row) = ASIO aware audio player

If you want then you can use another digital connection to the ADI-2 Pro via AES and send audio separately
    to the phones output of the ADI-2 Pro FS.
    By this you can create in TM FX a special phones mix (out of the 3 SW playback channels) and
    switch between monitors and phones via ARC USB / TM FX.
    In such a setup it should still be possible to use ADI-2 Pro FS remapped keys for switching audio between
    Monitors and phones. Then you simply have the freedom to choose the one or the other way.
    Play with it, decide what makes more sense to you.

See my blog articles, RME tutorial videos, manual of RayDAT / ADI-2 Pro FS
  https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … rnal-equi/
  https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … al-Videos/

to 2)
- The ADI-2 Pro FS has no Mic inputs thus it has no mic gain, you need to connect a mic preamp through analog input

to 3)
You connect the ARC USB to your PC.
TM FX does the communication between ARC USB and recording interface.
For switching between monitor and phones you can use the ADI-2 Pro FS by key remapping.
See my blog articles:
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … our-Setup/
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … ort-DE-EN/

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

3 (edited by tha12 2019-10-25 05:47:28)

ramses wrote:

Next thing is to configure routing (quick overview)
  Assuming you choosed ADAT1 IN and OUT port, so ADAT1/2 is your HW output channel.
  Assign ADAT1/2 as "Main Out" so this channel moves to the TM FX control room.
  Set TM FX to "Submix Mode".
  Click to HW Output ADAT1/2, then you see the submix for this output channel.
  Now route all Audio which you need to this HW output (=submix) by raising the faders of
  - HW inputs (top row) and
  - SW playback channels (middle row)
  For non-ASIO aware applications you need to configure a WDM device for ADAT1/2 in the driver settings dialog
  This output ADAT1/2 you set also as speaker device in the TAB speaker (in the WDM submenue)
  Then you get Windows Sound or from Youtube through SW playback channel ADAT 1/2 (middle row).

Thanks Ramses,

This path is really hard, as i'm new to this and trying to reach higher level... I'm trying to do as your instructions, later at time if I can't make it. Please help me more details... Currently, I have 2 pieces of Toslink Cables, which I intend to connect from ADI-2 to Raydat via ADAT (AD) and from Raydat to ADI-2 via Breakout cable - AES (DA). Then I stuck here, don't know how to set up routing... So that I have to use USB connection between ADI-2 and my PC, so my Raydat is really wasted...

Do you have Skype or anything that I can chat with you so that I can ask for details? Thank you Ramses.

4 (edited by ramses 2019-10-25 06:05:34)

I wrote you already all required steps... Watch tutorial videos, look at my totalmix primer and then re-read my posting.

Its like driving a car. Makes no sense to teach you how to drive from a to b, a to c ..
Learn how to drive, then you can also drive from a to z and to wherever you want.

Rome has also not being built in one day, take your time.

TM FX is the best routing software and very easy if you understand the basic principles.
For this watch tutorials and see my primer in terms of submix mode. Its very easy once understood.

As end customer like you I have no time resources to perfom skype support, sorry.
I spend already much time to write the blogs to make it easier for everybody and (of course)
not having to type everything again and again.

Look at the number of my postings, I think then you know why wink

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:

I wrote you already all required steps... Watch tutorial videos, look at my totalmix primer and then re-read my posting.

Its like driving a car. Makes no sense to teach you how to drive from a to b, a to c ..
Learn how to drive, then you can also drive from a to z and to wherever you want.

Rome has also not being built in one day, take your time.

TM FX is the best routing software and very easy if you understand the basic principles.
For this watch tutorials and see my primer in terms of submix mode. Its very easy once understood.

As end customer like you I have no time resources to perfom skype support, sorry.
I spend already much time to write the blogs to make it easier for everybody and (of course)
not having to type everything again and again.

Look at the number of my postings, I think then you know why wink

ok I study now master smile) I will get back to you soon sir!!