1 (edited by chazshep751 2019-10-28 18:33:15)

Topic: Which PCIe card for fireface 400

Hey guys,

I am building a new recording computer, and I want to know which PCIe firewire card I can use that will work with my new motherboard. The model motherboard I am using is the Asus PRIME X570-PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard. Any tips and/or suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Re: Which PCIe card for fireface 400

This board has no PCI slots, you mean PCIe, right ?!

Then this card: https://www.heise.de/preisvergleich/exs … 75938.html

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

3 (edited by chazshep751 2019-10-28 20:11:39)

Yes, I am sorry I mean PCIe. Corrected* Thanks for the link!

Hi,

I have the same ASUS X570 Prime Pro ATX AM4 motherboard and the RM Fireface 800 and want to connect this device through Firewire, but i have issues with two PCI Express FireWire cards. We have tried the following PCI Express cards:
- Lycom PE-107 (http://www.lycom.com.tw/PE107.htm)
- Exsys EX-16415 (recommended by this topic, so bought this one)

But neither of these are working. If the cards are inserted in the PCI Excpress slot, then the pc won't boot. Not even in the BIOS. This motherboard has LED's so you can see how far the pre-bios-boot time is. It hangs on the VGA LED, so i think the motherboard sees this cards as a VGA card. It can't see the card. If i remove the FireWire card, then the PC boots normally. I have read/tried to change all the BIOS options (boot, secure boot, CSM compatibility, but no change). I have another new PC with motherboard Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro, both Firewire cards are working fine. In my main pc (with the ASUS X570 PRIME PRO motherboard) i have a Ryzen X3900, witch is not supported by the B450 Aorus Pro, so changing the motherboards is not an option.

Do you know a working combination of a PCI Express FireWire card with the ASUS X570 Prime Pro, or did you set a specific BIOS option to let the Exsys EX-16415 work?

If not, do you know if there is another X570 chipset motherboard that do work with one of the given Firewire cards?

Maybe a bios upgrade could help. Ever asked Asus support ?

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

I upgraded the bios to the newest version (1405), but no result. I asked Asus for support, i am waiting for a respons.. Also a friend of mine has the same motherboard (Asus X570 Pro) and same problem, so i hope Asus has a solution. Does someone who read this have a X570 chipset motherboard with a PCI Express FireWire card? Then i could swap my mainbord and or the PCI Express card..

This is the answer from ASUS:

"Looking at similar setups from other brands using the X570 chipset there seem to be compatibility problems with older PCIe cards like sound cards, FireWire cards and USB cards.
Many older type PCIe cards seem not to be supported by the AMD X570 chipset and the AGESA version of the BIOS. This is a problem related to the AMD firmware for this chipset.

AMD is working on a new AGESA update but we cannot guarantee that this solves every problem with PCIe cards as some might just not be compatible."

So it's a X570-chipset thing. Does somebody has a X570 motherboard with a working FireWire PCI Express card? I just checked again some B450 chipsets and found that the Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro does supports the Ryzen 3900X, so i am thinking about replacing the motherboard for that one.

I replaced the mainbord for the Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro mainbord and now it's working fine!

attah.yeboah wrote:

Hello,
Please I am having problems with my fireface400 
with windows 10 it's always given me blue screen, I am using asus rog strix b450-f with Ryzen7 2700x and 16gbram. I'm using Pcie firewire card     https://www.netrade.cz/detail/komponent … 94a-porty/    and I don't know what is causing this blue screen  can someone please advise me thanks

I looked up your card, and from what I can see, it has a VIA chipset on it. Most people have the best luck with a card with the Texas Instrument XIO2213 , mine has the TI XIO2213B and it works just fine.

I'm finding that many Czech stores (I'm assuming that is who you want to order from) have a card listed, the Kouwell PE-107. It is usually listed as having a TI Chipset and I just verified on the manufacturer's website http://www.lycom.com.tw/PE107.htm that is is indeed the TI XIO2213. I would say, perhaps make your own separate thread on here if you have not already, but that card more than likely will work better for you. You might want to search the forums as well to see if people have had problems with a Via chipset.

Additionally, I found that Digitus DOES make a PCIe card with a TI XIO2213 chipset and multiple Czech stores seem to actually have this one in stock. here is a site that leads to other sites that carry the card: https://www.zbozi.cz/vyrobek/digitus-ds-30203-2/

I hope this helps!