Topic: Connecting both DIGIFACE USB / FIRFACE UCX ?

Hi

I'm using a firface UCX and i want to buy an DIGIFACE USB for expanding my number of input and output with ADAT pramp stuff i my studio...

What is the way to connect both interfaces ?

> Digiface in USB  with UCX in standalone connected with ADAT to the DIGIFACE ?

or (if possible)

> Digiface and UCX in parallele with USB ?

By extansion of this question, how TOTAL MIX deal with two audio interfaces ... ?

Need a support to do a good choice, thanks,

Charles

2 (edited by ramses 2019-11-17 13:18:22)

Re: Connecting both DIGIFACE USB / FIRFACE UCX ?

You can not access both units by one RME ASIO driver, as they use different drivers.

The Digiface USB does not support stand-alone operation, so you need to take the Digiface USB as primary interface.

You have to connect the UCX to the Digiface USB with 2 TOSLINK cables:
- towards UCX for sending audio for D/A and to transmit clock signal
- from UCX to receive audio A/D

Clock master is Digiface USB (clock source: internal), Clock Slave is UCX (clock source: ADAT).
UCX: for stand-alone operation you can load setup from 6 user and 2 factory setups.

To prepare routing for stand-alone operation you connect also the UCX by either USB or Firewire.
USB allows you to perform firmware updates as well.
If the configuration of routing has been done for the UCX then store configuration in one of the 6 user profiles.
Then you can disconnect the UCX.

How TM FX works with 2 audio interfaces.
In the upper right corner of TM FX window you have a selection box to select either UCX or Digiface USB.
Whats also possible to open a new TM FX window and to have one TM FX window for each of the recording interfaces.
If you save this to a workplace file on PC or by using the Quick Workplace Select feature then even the window placement
of the two different TM FX instances are being restored.

See manual for details what is being stored to snapshots and workplaces.
I recommend to store snapshots and workplaces to the PC into files.
Then you can recover all settings from these 2 files on every PC (if you restore from backup or copy these files to other PC).
After you have done this I suggest to use also the Quick Workspace Select feature, as then you can recall up to 30 different configuration additionally and recall setup 1..9 with ALT-1, ALT-2 ...

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

3 (edited by cybercharles 2019-11-17 16:37:51)

...As usual thank you RME and the pro people who answers ...

I understood the answer. It's clear regarding connections, clock, master,slave, ASIO drivers...

Please confirm ! :

to sum up, both interfaces will be connected via USB to be TM "controlable" but only the DIGIFACE is the ASIO driver and the other one (UCX) is just a slave converter connected by toslink.

Best regards,

Charles.

4 (edited by ramses 2019-11-18 14:05:15)

Thanks that you liked it wink

Confirmed, with some additions to make it 100% clear:

You install both drivers for operational reasons, otherwise the interfaces can not be accessed / configured by TM FX.
And you need the driver for firmware upgrades.

In the application / DAW you only use the "madiface driver" of the Digiface USB, as this is your primary interface.
The UCX will be accessed via ADAT through the primary interface (Digiface USB).

Also for Firmware updates you need the two USB driver of the two different interfaces.

At the end its only a matter of taste or number of USB ports, whether you keep the USB cable of the UCX connected or not.
The difference is
a) whether you still want to operate it quickly per TotalMix and
b) from where the UCX gets the config
    - with USB cable: from TM FX
    - without USB cable (stand-alone): from the last user profile that you reactivated

If you want to use the ARC USB, then please activate the ARC USB only for the TM FX instance of the Digiface USB.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Hi

thank you, all clear, and yes i use the ARC USB wink

last question do you know if the RME Hammerfall DSP multiface II will be compatible withe the DIGIFACE USB ?

regards

6 (edited by ramses 2019-11-18 14:05:59)

Compatible ? In what regards ?

Can i connect the HAMERFACE with the digiface USB with toslink ?
Is the HAMERFACE will be configurable in standalone with TM ?

ADAT is a standard, its compatible.

> Is the HAMERFACE will be configurable in standalone with TM ?

There is a contradition. If the interface is in stand-alone mode, then its not connected by USB/FW/....
And if its not connected to the PC, then TM FX can not control it, because it is in stand-alone mode.

Please explain what you intend to do and what is not clear.

Hi

what i mean: is the HAMMERFAL RME mutliface II can be pre-programmed (gain, pan, fade...) via TM with de firewire connection and then disconnected to be in stand-alone mode ?

regards

10 (edited by ramses 2019-11-18 16:31:52)

Please check the manual, whether stand-alone operation is supported for the multiface and how it works.

Its a simple text search in the PDF document for the word "stand-alone".

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/mface2_d.pdf

Taking a Multiface II doesnt seem to be that good, because according to manual it has no internal storage.
You need to connect it to the PC, then configure it (or maybe it loads then the previous configuration).
Then you need to set "disconnect mode" and ensure that the powersupply is plugged to it.
Then you may disconnect it physically from the PCIe card.

This sounds a little bit too complicated to me, an interface which store the last configuration or which has up to 6 user configs sounds to me much better from operational perspective.

Ideal would be an interface which has all the ports that you require.
And if you need more Mic preamps or analog channels, to expand it by MicPreamps and ADDA converter using ADAT/MADI.

ramses wrote:

If you want to use the ARC USB, then please activate the ARC USB only for the TM FX instance of the Digiface USB.

Also works with two instances of Total Mix, as long as you do not map the buttons twice, e.g. you can map Button 1 to UCX and Button 2 to Digiface etc.

12 (edited by luaPSand 2020-03-11 13:58:34)

ramses wrote:

Clock master is Digiface USB (clock source: internal), Clock Slave is UCX (clock source: ADAT).
UCX: for stand-alone operation you can load setup from 6 user and 2 factory setups.

Hi Ramses,

I'm trying to do the same. I use a digiface USB and a Fireface UC and three other ADAT devices. The other ADAT devices are showing up in TM of the Digiface and work fine. With the Fireface I did everything as you described.
My problem is that in the settings of the Fireface the only options for Clock Mode are:
SPDIF Coax.
Optical In
Word
LTC
Internal

There's no option for ADAT wich is what you recommended . Although besides the dropdown for Clock Source it states "Current ADAT".

The inputs of the Fireface show UFL in TM of the Digiface so there is no signal coming in.
The inputs of the other ADAT devices show fluctuating gain in Digiface TM so I assume they're working. The Input Status in the settings of Digiface In 1 - In 3 (other ADAT devices) constantly switch between Sync and Lock. In 4 (Fireface) shows Sync.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks
Paul

ADAT is an "optical input".

Hi Ramses,

thanks for the quick answer!
There is no signal coming from the Fireface in to TM-Digiface but there is coming signal from the other ADAT devices.
Could you please have a look at my settings screenshots? The last 8 Channels in TM are the channels coming from the Fireface:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1z98YU … cjMppRk2Pt

I can't open these files, see this:
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … rum-EN-DE/

16 (edited by luaPSand 2020-03-11 19:15:51)

Upps I'm sorry. I merged the three screenshots.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/62720g2foh4yq … t.PNG?dl=0

Seems like no inputs or playback audio is routed to ADAT out on the Fireface UCX  That must be set up on the TotalMix FX app fpr the UCX. UFL = underflow, this means no audio data is present.

The issues with Sync/Lock flipping for the other inputs (ADAT 1-3)indicates that these converters are not set up correct for clock sync to the Digiface. Please provide details about the connections and settings for these units. They must be set up as clock slaves since the Digiface USB is clock master.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Hi Jeff,

thank you very much for helping me!

Jeff wrote:

Seems like no inputs or playback audio is routed to ADAT out on the Fireface UCX  That must be set up on the TotalMix FX app fpr the UCX. UFL = underflow, this means no audio data is present.

How does this work? I'm just used to working with only one device and one TM.

Jeff wrote:

The issues with Sync/Lock flipping for the other inputs (ADAT 1-3)indicates that these converters are not set up correct for clock sync to the Digiface. Please provide details about the connections and settings for these units. They must be set up as clock slaves since the Digiface USB is clock master.

Oh ok, that was a stupid question. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

How does this work? I'm just used to working with only one device and one TM.

You will need to configure TotalMix on the UCX to route whatever Input & playback channels you need to the ADAT Out 1-8 on the UCX. That can be a long explanation, do you know how to use TotalMix for routing at all?

Here are some basic instructions for how to use TotalMix: https://youtu.be/ZkxzYlBiScA

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

I do all routing in the DAW. I never use TM for anything except setting the input gain of channels. I will take some time to learn the basics of TM and get back to you with more stupid questions. smile

Thanks wink

Hi Jeff,

the Digiface is my main interface. I have 4 ADAT devices connected to it each with 8 IO so I have 32 outs. The FF UC is the fourth device. I want to use FF uc output 7/8 (Headphone) as master out. Output 7/8 of the FF UC should be output 31/32.
I have my DAW setup to play back it's master on 31/32. Signal arrives in Digiface TM so I see gain on Hardware output 31/32, on Software Playback 31/32 and on Hardware input 31/32.

But nothing is coming out of output 7/8 of the FF uc.

What am I doing wrong?

Open TotalMix FX for the Fireface UCX. Select the Phone out in the bottom row by clicking on it. Now this channel should be a brighter color than the other channels in the Hardware Output row, this means the Phones 7/8 submix is selected. On the top row, raise the fader for Hardware Input channel ADAT 7/8.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

23 (edited by luaPSand 2020-03-12 21:33:23)

There is no Phone out in the bottom row in TM for FF. There are:
AN1/2, AN3/4, AN5/6, SPDIF, AS1/2, ADAT3/4, ADAT5/6, ADAT7/8 and "Main".

Signal is coming to ADAT7/8 and the respective fader in the top row is risen.

Phones 7/8 is assigned as Main Out. So start by selecting Main Out instead.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

It wasn't. I now assigned it to Main as this makes sense anyway. When I click on main so that it becomes brighter I can see signal in ADAT 7/8 in the top row. Still nothing coming out of the physical output. No audio. smile

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lq9rvbwfuuj7z … t.PNG?dl=0

Ok I got it. I'm sorry. I don't know what I did but now it works! big_smile