1 (edited by m1k3 2019-11-18 02:04:29)

Topic: AES/EBU capabilities of the RME ADI-2 DAC

From the manual for the ADI-2 DAC: “Using a simple cable adapter XLR to RCA, an AES/EBU signal can be received too. To achieve this, pins 2 and 3 of a female XLR plug are connected individually to the two pins of a phono plug. The cable shielding is only connected to pin 1 of the XLR - not to the phono plug.”

All the XLR to RCA adapters I found online use the standard pinout with pins 1 and 3 of the XLR connector wired to the shield of the RCA plug and pin 2 of the XLR connector wired to the tip of the RCA plug. So has anyone found this custom cable adapter that the RME manual describes to buy online?

Has anyone tried AES/EBU into the RME ADI-2 DAC? Do I use an AES/EBU compatible 110 ohm cable with this adapter or for short distances does it matter?

Cheers,
Mike

Edited to mention: I’m asking because I want to connect a LUMIN U1 Mini network transporter’s AES/EBU output to the Coax input of the DAC since I’ve read that AES may be the best output (sound quality wise) of the Lumin U1 Mini.

Re: AES/EBU capabilities of the RME ADI-2 DAC

I need to know this as well. Gonna connect adi-2 pro fs to ucx via AES .

3 (edited by m1k3 2019-11-18 20:16:08)

sajid.shihoron wrote:

I need to know this as well. Gonna connect adi-2 pro fs to ucx via AES .

You shouldn’t have a problem because the ADI-2 Pro fs has a breakout cable with a real XLR connector for the AES/EBU input. I was asking about the ADI-2 DAC (not the Pro) which doesn’t have an XLR input for AES/EBU, but the S/PDIF coax RCA connector will accept an AES/EBU digital signal if you use an XLR-to-RCA adapter; I just can’t find one online with the correct pinout that the user manual describes.

Adi-2 pro fs indeed has a AES cable but UCX doesn’t . Its the other way around of your problem. Hehe

sajid.shihoron wrote:

Adi-2 pro fs indeed has a AES cable but UCX doesn’t . Its the other way around of your problem. Hehe

Ooops; sorry ;-)

A forum member on Head-Fi recommended I check out https://www.redco.com/home.php for a custom cable.

Hi folks,

this one is available off the shelf and should do the job ;-)  :

https://www.thomannmusic.com/pro_snake_ … able_3.htm

Cheers
Olli

RME ADI2-DAC FS | Intel NUC8i7
Rotel RB1582 MKII amp
Infinity Kappa 8.2i speakers
Audirvana player

Olli wrote:

Hi folks,

this one is available off the shelf and should do the job ;-)  :

https://www.thomannmusic.com/pro_snake_ … able_3.htm

Cheers
Olli

That looks like it should work. No mention of the pinout, but it does say, “Suitable for all RME Fireface Cards.” Should work if the Fireface Cards have the same implementation of the multi-mode RCA connector (S/PDIF, AES) as the ADI-2 DAC.
Thanks for the link!

Cheers

9 (edited by Olli 2019-11-18 21:40:49)

You‘re welcome!

The only drawback is the shipping cost from Germany to the US which is around usd 33(!)

A cheaper solution of course is if you have a solder iron on hand and know how to handle it or know
someone who has one and can handle it. Then you would only have to buy a female XLR, a male RCA and
a 110 Ohm cable of your desired length.

By the way: If you have look into the manual of i.e. Fireface UCX
(https://www.archiv.rme-audio.de/downloa … _ucx_e.pdf)
you will find the proof on page 41 that the implementation (pinning) is identical.

Kind regards
Olli

Rotel RB1582 MKII amp
Audirvana player

10 (edited by m1k3 2019-11-18 22:24:44)

Olli wrote:

...By the way: If you have look into the manual of i.e. Fireface UCX
(https://www.archiv.rme-audio.de/downloa … _ucx_e.pdf)
you will find the proof on page 41 that the implementation (pinning) is identical.

Kind regards
Olli

Actually, I don’t think they are the same pinouts. The Fireface manual you linked to says, “The cable shielding is connected to pin 1 of the XLR and the ground contact of the phono plug.”

Whereas, the RME ADI-2 DAC manual, pg 36, says, “The cable shielding is only connected to pin 1 of the XLR - not to the phono plug.” and shows a picture that differs (the pin 1 trace goes to the label “n.c.” for not connected.)

Now I’m wondering about that cable. What are your thoughts?

Cheers
Mike

Hi Mike,

uuups, you are right...sorry..

As I obviously don‘t have any insights to the input stage following the RCA-connector on ADI2-DAC, I can‘t give any reliable comments about why the shield is not connected here.

Maybe Matthias from RME (MC) can comment on that just in case he will come over this thread by chance..

Sorry and cheers
Olli

Rotel RB1582 MKII amp
Audirvana player

Was going to order a custom AES(XLR)-to-RCA cable, not an adapter, but they were confused by the instructions I gave based on the manual saying the cable shielding is only connected to pin 1 of the XLR - not to the phono plug. They asked me to confirm the pin-outs before I have them make the cable. Can RME comment?

13 (edited by Curt962 2019-11-27 03:46:09)

US users might wish to speak with "Cable Solutions" in the US which specialize in such things.    Fine Craftsmanship specialty connections for the Pro User.

No BS Pricing.

Www.Cs1.net

Curt

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes

14 (edited by m1k3 2019-11-28 12:50:59)

I’ll try a custom cable and report back.