Topic: Need DA converter for monitoring RayDat - recommendations?

Hi, Newbie here.  I made essentially the same mistake as described on this thread - I neglected to research thoroughly, and seeing the "RCA" connectors on the breakout cable, I "assumed" I would be able to output to my monitor system from there.

Simultaneously, I ordered a Tascam Series 8p Dyna.  Its back panel has 2 ADAT ports, and I "assumed" one was input and the other output.  I was mistaken.  This unit has 2 ADAT outs (for S/MUX functionality), but no digital input or DA conversion.  (In my defense, I looked at a lot of different converter boxes that day, and the all started to run together...)

Anyway, now what do I do?  Sweetwater has a no-questions-asked return policy, so I can return the Tascam unit, but I'd like to keep it, as it got such praise from users for its pres and compressors.  I was thinking down the road I could add something like Behringer ADA8200, to inexpensively expand my 8 channels to 16.  I wasn't planning on spending an additional $300 right now, but I may do it if it will solve my problem.

So, if I get an ADA8200 or other AD/DA converter, can I use it for monitoring, even if I primarily use the Tascam for recording input?  (I realize this may be a dumb question, but I want to be sure before I dig a deeper hole for myself.)

Alternatively, are there inexpensive DA converters out there? 

This may be crazy, but I noticed a Digital-to-Analog converter on Amazon for $15 - it has SPDIF and Toslink inputs, and stereo RCA outputs.  It's made for home entertainment, not pro studio use, but would it work?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Re: Need DA converter for monitoring RayDat - recommendations?

Both the behringer and the cheap amazon will work. The cheap one will not sound perfect but might be good enough anyway. The behringer is also not the best DA but also ok.
The behringer can be had for €160 new if you shop for it I think

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

You can connect up to 4x ADA8200 via TOSLINK to the RayDAT.
The RayDAT will be your primary recording interface. All connected ADA8200's will receive clock via ADAT.
With the ADA8200 you should be able to do everything you want because its AD/DA converter and also Mic Preamp.
With TM FX / RayDAT you have a solid basement in terms of routing and low latencies.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

vinark wrote:

Both the behringer and the cheap amazon will work. The cheap one will not sound perfect but might be good enough anyway. The behringer is also not the best DA but also ok.

Thanks!  One more question...  Actually two...
I assume I can't use an ADAT cable to connect the RayDat to the cheap converter, as its optical input is Toslink (stereo, not 8 channels), am I right?  That leaves SPDIF.  Are the red and white SPDIF ends on the breakout cable "In" and "Out", respectively (not "Left" and "Right" as I'd originally supposed)?  If so, which is which?

5 (edited by ramses 2019-11-20 07:45:25)

Exactly SPDIF has 2 channels.
Over ADAT / optical TOSLINK cable its possible to run two different protocols, either SPDIF or ADAT.
SPDIF 2 channel up to 192 kHz, ADAT 8 channel @44.1/48, but only 4 or 2 channels at dual / quad speed.

With coaxial SPDIF IN and OUT not left and right, correct. Should be documented in the manual.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

kyleknapp wrote:
vinark wrote:

Thanks!  One more question...  Actually two...
I assume I can't use an ADAT cable to connect the RayDat to the cheap converter, as its optical input is Toslink (stereo, not 8 channels), am I right?  That leaves SPDIF.  Are the red and white SPDIF ends on the breakout cable "In" and "Out", respectively (not "Left" and "Right" as I'd originally supposed)?  If so, which is which?

As Ramses said, one of the adat ports can be set to spdif optical from the rme settings.
And on my breakout cable there is a small label saying in and out. But if you connect it wrong nothing will break. It will just not work.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

Thanks again.

Okay I finally have my RayDAT installed, with, for now, a cheap DA converter box.  I couldn't get it to work with a Toslink cable - all I could hear was a soft staticky hiss, but it works via SPDIF coax (even though I'm using a plain RCA audio cable in place of the SPDIF cable). 

But I can't seem to playback from any source except Cubase.  I tried to route Windows audio through the RayDAT, but it says "No Audio Devices are Installed".  Any ideas?

Also, the audio output is much lower than it was with my Delta 1010.  Would that be a product of the DA converter (it has no volume control)?

9 (edited by ramses 2019-11-26 21:33:25)

RayDAT is a full digital card. How can audio output be less louder compared to your other card ?!
0dB is 0dB ... but check levels whether they are 0dB. Same on any box which does D/A conversion.

But I can't seem to playback from any source except Cubase.  I tried to route Windows audio through the RayDAT, but it says "No Audio Devices are Installed".  Any ideas?

You need to enable at minimum 1 stereo WDM device in the HDSPe Settings app for non-ASIO audio apps.

Also, the audio output is much lower than it was with my Delta 1010.  Would that be a product of the DA converter (it has no volume control)?

Yes, that is the DAC not the RME card.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

kyleknapp wrote:

For OS and applications that do not support ASIO you need to create WDM devices with the driver settings dialog.
Set the I/O port as "speaker" device, where your monitors are connected to.
Then in windows sound settings set this to windows default device.

That worked THANK YOU!