Topic: Any chance that old HDSP Series get sum cheap software efx in TotalMix

A cheap reverb, flanger and delay?
This would be fantastic. smile
If not in Totalmix then in microsofts audio engine (properties/playback devices)?

ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming, i7-6700, 2x KVR24N17S8/8 RAM
Win7 SP1 x64
RME HDSP PCI Card, Multiface & RPM

Re: Any chance that old HDSP Series get sum cheap software efx in TotalMix

Has been answered before, no not possible. But depending on what you need it might be easy to set up in software, so what do you need exactly and for what?

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

3 (edited by staciquan 2021-10-20 18:35:20)

I'm sorry for getting into this topic again, but why isn't it possible? I mean, it would be something great for everyone. It would be much more accessible, and due to that, more people would start using it. No one wants to buy expensive software. We keep looking for cheaper solutions because nowadays there are so much software and so many stores, and we don't want to pay more for something that can be cheaper. That's why I think it should be cheap software. It would be much more convenient for all of us.

4 (edited by ramses 2021-10-18 15:53:45)

DrainBamage wrote:

If not in Totalmix then in microsofts audio engine (properties/playback devices)?

Microsoft audio engine: known latency and quality issues, why we all use ASIO driver on a PC.

staciquan wrote:

I'm sorry for getting into this topic again, but why isn't it possible? [...]

RME offers recording interfaces with FX chip: BBF Pro FS, UCX, UCX II, 802, UFX II, UFX+, HDSPe MADI FX.
This FX chip is AFAIK an additional FPGA chip on board, this is not simply implemented in software,
therefore you can simply add it to cards which do not have this chip per design.

> [...] I mean, it would be something great for everyone. [...]

See above and if you should mean a different topic, loading of VST2/3 into TM FX.
This has been answered already a couple of times on the forum, it won't happen.
VSTs can cause instabilities in DAWs and nobody would like to have that.

> [...] It would be much more accessible, and due to that, more people would start using it [...]

Sorry, this is not the point, see above.
Everybody has already a lot of FX's, either bundled with the DAW or as 3rd party tool.
On the PC you have nowadays a lot of processing power.
It's better to run such things there, instead of risking to have an unstable TM FX.
Better a stable RME "core" where you build around your DAW setup.
And its much cheaper to have this processing power on the PC.
Look how expensive the UAD design is with the Sharc DSPs which are not very fast, why you need multiple of those cards if you would need to run a lot of FX, that need a lot of Sharc processing power.

The current design is more beneficial, stable and cost efficient.
The FX chip is to be quickly able to give e.g. a vocalist reverb, delay or to EQ something quickly on the fly.
If you are a Pro, then you have usually external FX or 3rd party plugins which have sometimes a quite high CPU demand, so run this better on the computer which have a lot of fast cores nowadays.

There are other alternatives, use an ASIO host software, see this RME video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQ95oc6zO3w

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

5 (edited by whati's 2022-01-02 14:37:29)

I think it would work perfectly! I never gave this idea any thought, but it actually sounds pretty great. You should try adding reverb or delay to your headphone mixes or main monitor mixes. The reverb and echo effects send and return effects only and are available on DSP-powered RME audio interfaces. However, I think it mostly depends on what you need it for since it might be easy to set up in software. I read an article with a similar idea on itprospt.com, and I think you should get some inspiration. I certainly hope you'll do it! Good luck!