Topic: Can't pair 2 FF800s following RME tutorial (Stand Alone Operation)

Greetings RME community. I've been following the official rme tutorial (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfexKXS7wNk) trying to pair my 2 ff800s but am failing. I am copying the tutorial exactly but it is 10 years old and the matrix layout is a bit different making it hard to follow. I have the ff800s paired via firewire/adat and would share my screen shots but I cannot for some reason. If anyone could help I would be so grateful and happily provide screenshots. I just need help with the matrix routing. Thank you kindly smile

2 (edited by ramses 2019-11-23 12:03:01)

Re: Can't pair 2 FF800s following RME tutorial (Stand Alone Operation)

What's the problem? Only in the routing of the channels ?
Then it would be good to deliver a good problem description that contains
- what you want to achive
- what fails exactly
- the relevant information to be able to to understand / reproduce your issue.

One idea upfront in terms of routing: configuring routing in mixer view (in submix mode) is maybe easier for you.
Because all that you need to do is for every HW output
1. to click on this particular HW output and then
2. raise fader of the inputs (HW inputs, SW playback channels) that you want to hear on that HW output (aka "submix")

Pictures are posted here as in any other forum. Store picture at the Cloud Provider, e.g. Dropbox.
Share picture. Copy the URL to this picture into your article.
Mark the URL in your article completely with the mouse and click on the penultimate button "img".
This URL will then be surrounded by the image tags

[img]URL[/img]

With dropbox, the URL has the string "dl=0" at the very end, there change the "0" to "1".
Then the forum software can load and display the image along with the text, when somebody is reading your article.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

UPDATE: I've got audio coming from FF800(2) to the primary FF800 but I need to always have firewire800/adat connected to work. My only problem is that in Ableton, every input from FF800(2) is recognized only on channels 13/14 as a stereo mix. For example, audio signal running into input 1/2 and 9/10 on FF800(2)-> FF800(1) via ADAT 1/2-> Ableton as 13/14. Hardware inputs/outputs 1/2-22/24 have been enabled in Ableton. It's not like I have any other ADAT connections than just the one, but how would I get every channel individually to FF800(1) from standalone FF800(2) instead of a stereo mix? I can control each channels volumes from FF800(2) but not in Ableton.

Screenshots of ff800(1) and ff800(2) mixer settings: https://imgur.com/a/9HciqAn

Hi!
I replied to your other post, as I read that one first!

But Ramses had you, allready, covered here:

Because all that you need to do is for every HW output
1. to click on this particular HW output and then
2. raise fader of the inputs (HW inputs, SW playback channels) that you want to hear on that HW output (aka "submix")

Anyway, no harm done, as I provided a step by step solution without knowing!! big_smile
Please report back, if you have any problems, still !

RME Gear: Digiface USB, HDSP 9632

5 (edited by ramses 2019-11-24 23:43:32)

derrick.bettencourt wrote:

Screenshots of ff800(1) and ff800(2) mixer settings: https://imgur.com/a/9HciqAn

Best is to use submix mode also for the 1st device, you have still free mode set.
And if I look i.e. to the HW inputs the gain settings are not exactly at 0dB.

It would be good, if you would provide us and yourself a little drawing, to be able to keep the overview.
How the devices are connected, clock master and what routing you want to achieve.
Its not so easy to look at your screenshots and then again having to go through your postings to see what you actually wanted to do.

You are not the only guy asking for clocking, routing and then its difficult / time consuming not to mix the different cases.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Hey Ramses, the troubleshooting is continued on the other post by the same OP, with some more screenshots! big_smile

I know.
Its not good to have two different postings for the same issue.
I replied here, because I had to reply here, to the pictures that he linked here.

Aah, yes! You 're right!!

Anyway, I 'll paste the link to the other thread, for anyone who wants to follow!

Continued thread here:

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=29680